creative ensoniq audio card
    NIC
    8 bit printer card
    WIndows ME ( for now )
    250 watt power supply
    2 HDs 5400 rpm Maxtors 30 gig/40 gig
    CD burner
    CD rom drive
    The systen worked fine until we installed the 256 ram stick and the new 500 MHZ CPU
    I set the Core voltage to specs ( 2.2 v ) and the bus speed ( 100 mhz ) and the multiplier ( 5 x )
    His Mom gets on there and decides to play Solitaire and the system reboots, My friend installed Win 98 and got the same results , he installed Win ME because it had the video driver for his card, When I upgraded his system he was running WIndows 2000 pro but when I booted it up we had no video, I booted into safe mode and VGA mode and was able to get a picture
    I downloaded and installed the Detonater drivers for his card and the system was running fine in my basement 'puter room
    I guess when his Mom tried the Solitaire game it had Win 2k on it Then it started rebooting
    I also noticed some green paint on the CPU where the s K-6 logo is engraved, I wonder if this CPU was out of another system
    The CPU that was replaced was an Intel 233 MMX
    Any ideas will be appreciated and thanks in advance

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Antimatter

Cool

Thanks, I emailed my friend to let him know, strange thing is , I shut the system down to double check the CPU voltage ( make sure it was 2.2 and not 2.4 )
    The CPU was cool to my touch, ( Ihad removed the heat sink to read the inscription ) but then again I was in my basement 'puter room ( It's going to look like that ship in the " Matrix "

------------------

Originally posted by format c::
    The CPU that was replaced was an Intel 233 MMX
    That's keep me thinking,what You have memory-relayted problem. 233MMX runs on 66MHz,while
    500 - on 100MHz FSB. Try to replace memory stick/sticks - I've seen similar timing problems even with brandname memory and ALi's chipsets.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

Mustang

Originally posted by format c::
    I need help with a friends system that we just upgraded
    He has an Asus p5-a motherboard
    AMD k6-2 500 mhz CPU
    256 megs PC 133 Micron sdram
    32 megs PC 100 sdram ( generic )
    The systen worked fine until we installed the 256 ram stick and the new 500 MHZ CPU
    what bios version is he running
    look here for bios history and issues fixed with each release
    also have you tried removing the 32mb dimm

------------------
    Perception: Our day in, day out world is real.

Reality: That world is a hoax, an elaborate deception spun by all powerful machines of artificial intelligence that control us.

Lightbulb

He has to run a beta bios from Asus ftp site due to his 40 gig drive, the ariginal bios could not handle the drive, I think it is ver 1010 beta 1 , as much as I hate beta software we had no choice, I am running a beta bios on my p3v4x since my Celeron cpu is so new
    Ya we tried it with the 256 stick alone then he tried it with just the 32 meg stick and it rebooted on its own
    I was on the phone with him and I told him to change the audio irq=5 for one of the PCi slots to auto and it seemed to help , then it rebooted after about 20 minutes, I suggested he exchnage the CPU then the RAM and then the PSU , one at a time of course
    I am going over on Saturday and checking it out with him
    thanks for the Idea about memory timming I may try it with PC 100 sdram

------------------

[This message has been edited by format c: (edited March 16, 2001).]

rebelj

Exclamation

Check the Bios settings for PCI/DIMM timeings and speeds/refresh rates - sounds like it might not be refreshing soon enough or the memory bus might be running too fast.
    Also - change the memory so you are using the same speed - I have had mis-matched memory do some really strange things!
    I would stick with 133 memory in it, use some from same manufacturer. Also try shutting off ECC memory checking - some memory does not fully support it.
    Good Luck!

------------------
    If this is reality - I want the drugs back NOW!

Willie Make It

I am also running a K6 2 500 but on an AMD chipset board and I get the same problem. I posted a question just like yours and one of the replies was a link to a Windows tech support page that said there was a known incompatibility between windows 98 and AMD processors. As far as I know there is no patch available, but I do know that putting a bigger coling fan on my processor and another one in my case helped the problem some. The thing is, my processor didn't get hot before Iadded the fans.

MDD1963

Originally posted by Willie Make It:
    and one of the replies was a link to a Windows tech support page that said there was a known incompatibility between windows 98 and AMD processors.
    What a crock!

Who would confuse the Win95/processors above 300 MHZ issues with Win98?

Thumbs up

check the power supply,if the output on 5 volts is not high enough this causes the pc to reboot because of the powergood check is too low,also a casing fan might do some good,
    clauded

Exclamation

Well we replaced the CPU today and installed a new heatsink/fan unit using that nice white CPU paste
    While I was over there the PC would not reboot on it's own but it would lag big time if you opened two programs at once ( This is Windows ME )
    I enabled DMA on both drives and that seemed to help but I decided that we should replace the CPU to be safe
    Another thing I noticed is that on the reciept it says that the Micron pc 133 sdram he bought is cas 2 but in the cmos setup it says cas 3 , Could this be the issue, He is also running his old PC 100 sdram stick in there , so maybe the bios is setting the speed to the slower speed ram , I wonder if this could be the problem
    I will also look at that voltage setting and see if it is out of spec
    Thanks again guys

------------------

Remove 32 MB of RAM . These stick is usles in your machine with your configuration.

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

Ok removed that useless 32 megs of ram and it seems to reboot every 30 seconds especially on the first boot of the day, I am leaning toward a bad PSU or Mother board

Sounds like a bas PSU or a bad Voltage regulator on the board , or maybe a flakey connection on the board....

also , is he plugged into a clean circuit??
    (power quality is my business now)
    Life is good...sometimes...