[RESOLVED] Disabling SiS636 on-board video

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disabling SiS636 on-board video

UbbaNub

Question Disabling SiS636 on-board video

Just a short inquiry. I just purchased a Voodoo3 2000 PCI card, and am wondering if anyone out there knows the procedure for disabling the onboard AGP video so I don't get conflict problems in Windows. I changed my BIOS setting from AGP to PCI, but that didn't seem to help, Windows was still trying to use both video cards. I know with Voodoo3 that you have to have the on-board video disabled, but I can't seem to get it totally disabled so that Windows tries to load both of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

ATAG

Crenim

I wish you luck.. I have had nothing but trouble with my SiS 6326. It never runs right and directx does not like it.. Neither do other operating systems and the company is not too great at helping you out.. All I want is to call tech support and get them to give me a directx driver but they don't seem to feel like anything but making money by selling substandard parts. I have tried to disable the piece of junk on my board and there seems to be no way to do it.. I am almost to the point of giving this computer away and buying a new AMD with a RIA TNT 2..

UbbaNub

Question

Hiya there Crenim, another question if I may? Do you get ghosting on your monitor with the SiS6326? I have a 17" monitor and run in 1024x768 resolution. I can't get the refresh rate any higher than 43 Hz. If I do, I get severe ghosting, mirror images of graphics and Icons. It is really annoying!!! I just purchased my system about six months ago, and everywhere I inquire on the web, they all say that this on-board video chipset is crap, get a new motherboard, or just take the damn thing back to the retailer. I'm getting close to that type of solution. Thanks for listening. L8R.... ATAG

YungUns

Talking

Hi There! I had the same question as yourself and I got an answer! No from here tho'! I have an SiS6326 Onboard POS too, and wanted to disable it and get a PCI video card. Well, I did it, and this is how.
    Before cracking open the case, I went to my device manager and removed the offending SiS video chip. I wrote down the drivers it used and moved them to the recycle bin. Then I shut down my system, plugged in my Creative Riva TNT PCI board and started the unit up. Windows (98) recognized the Riva video first and I gave it the drivers from the CD-Rom...not Windows drivers. Then after installing the Riva drivers, I had to restart. When the computer restarted, I found the SiS6326 chip. When it asked where to find the drivers I just hit cancel until we went through all the drivers it was looking for. Restarted my computer and ....BAM....no recognition of any other video hardware. Now, my device manager shows a "!" beside the SiS in the display adapter area, but according to Silicon Integrated Systems, this is okay. Unfortunately, I have a cheesy PCChips board and the onboard AGP can not be disabled either by CMOS or by jumper. I have tried. But, I have been running my unit for a little over a week and I am not having any problems with the SiS or the Riva TNT. I don't know if this helps or not, but, if your running a mainboard like mine, it couldn't hurt! Just have some patience and try it!

Johnny Gee

Re: Disabling On-Board Video Card:

Boy!! Your story is severe deja-vu (all over again) for me. I have been on a steep learning curve ever since I brought this computer home. I was about sick when I realized that I would not get rid of the on board graphics card unless I got rid of the board itself......not a good option considering the money I had just forked over.

I called the card vendor AND the computer vendor. Nether of them were wanting to touch that problem. A little bit of meaningful research on my part BEFORE I walked out of the store with a brand new computer under one arm and a really spiff, (and totally alien to the computer) graphics card under the other..........I sure wish the sales person who sold them both to me had known more about their products.

My Voodoo card stayed in its box for another week while I got acquainted with Windows and such. When I learned about Device Manager, I realized that there was hope for the Voodoo after all. Access Dev Manager via: 'Control Panel', then 'System', go to 'Display Adapter' then 'Properties' for your SiS. At the bottom of the window there are two boxes. Check the Box:'Disable In This Profile' and remove the check mark from Exists in All Profiles' then click apply/OK. Install the Upgraded (really spiff) graphics card. The old adapter will stay in this soft-isolated state while the new card and you have all of the fun.

It has been 3 months now and I haven't had any other problems. Well,.. at least not related to graphics cards. I'm starting to plan my next 'Home Built' computer. We learn from our mistakes and I expect to be either Einstein or perhaps Mr. Cheswick by the time I finish my next project.

Darren Wilson

Johnny Gee

I would steer clear of these types of companies who sell you a system then don't want to touch it if something is wrong.

UbbaNub

What motherboard have you got???

Chenim

What motherboard have you got ??? If it is a PC-Chips board YOU can disable the onboard graphics. Instead of going for an AMD, why don't you spend a little more and buy seprate components instead of an All-In-One bundle, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Moral of this Story:- DON'T BUY ALL INTEGRATED SOLUTIONS AS IT WILL COST YOU A LOT MORE THAN YOU SAVED IN THE SHORT & LONG TERM

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

Crenim

Thanks for all the replies guys.. I finally got the SiS to die hhehe.. But I still can't run most of my programs due to the Intel junk in this machine.. I feel sorry for my friend.. He just got a P3 500 and it won't run soo many things.. C&C Tiberian sun for instance, it locks up on a whole lot of intel systems.. grrr.. Note to self, never buy intel products again, they freeze too much heh.. My new AMD Athlon never breaks, and I payed $280 for the board and processor.. I love having a 650mhz machine..

Darren Wilson

End Note:-

I don't know whre your friend got his P3-500 from , but he should take it back if it keeps locking up !!!!!!!!!!!! I have built numerous P3 based systems and never , and I mean NEVER had any problems reported to me. My own P3-500 is overclocked and has never locked up or given me errors, ( yes I do play Tiberian Sun and it is full of bugs anyway and EA/Westwood acknowledge this ). If your friend is using one of these boards that you have had probs with then that is the problem, not the chip.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????