[RESOLVED] unable to load NVIDIA Drivers!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] unable to load NVIDIA Drivers!!!

bjstevens40

Question unable to load NVIDIA Drivers!!!

Hi, I know I'm stupid or something but I've just upgraded my graphics card from a rage2 Pro to a Geforce2 MX. I just cand seem to get it running, everytime I boot up I get the message 'your display adapter is not configured properly'.I'm using a P2 350 CPU and a intel 82443BX AGP controller, but I haven't got a clue how to fix this, please help...

[stealth]

You havent installed the drivers for the Geforce2 MX, i would recommend going to system device manager and removing the references to the old card, restart the computer and it should reconise the new card. then all you have to do is follow the instructions and it should find the drivers for the new card on the cd

I tsounds more like you didnt uninstall the old drivers and since you have the new card it, it doesn't recognize the the setting you have it at. For example, if you have your setting at 800x600 32bit colors, and you havent installed the MX drivers, windows will give you the error. Make sure you completely remove the previous drivers, then remove the MX from device manager, then reboot, let windows detect the MX and reinstall MX drivers.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Just came across this issue with a customer last night. Make sure that your motherboard is supplying enough power to the AGP slot. Some motherboards do not do so, and the video card will not function properly because of this. Your motherboard should meet or exceed the AGP 2.0 specification. If you are unsure if your motherboard is supplying enough power, please contact your motherboard manufacturer and ask them if this particular motherboard is AGP 2.0 compliant. If the motherboard is not AGP 2.0 compliant, then this video card will probably not function correctly. This is not the same as AGP 1x, 2x, or 4x, as these are transfer rates, not standards.

You should get the latest version of your motherboard's BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer's web site. Please contact your motherboard manufacturer if you are not sure how to flash your motherboard's BIOS. We cannot be held responsible for any problems resulting from this procedure.

You should update the AGP drivers for the north-bridge chipset on your motherboard. Please verify with your motherboard's documentation, or the motherboard manufacturer directly to find out what chipset(s) you have on your motherboard.
    - VIA chipset [www.via.com.tw]
    - AMD chipset [www.amd.com]
    - ALI chipset [www.ali.com.tw]
    - SIS chipset [www.sis.com.tw]
    - Intel chipset [www.intel.com]

You may have an IRQ sharing conflict between the video card and another device in your system. To check this, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and choose System Information. Click the plus (+) sign next to Hardware Resources, then click on IRQs. Look for the video card's name in the list. The only thing that should be sharing the same IRQ as the video card is an IRQ holder for PCI steering. If you have anything else sharing the same IRQ as the video card, you must change that device's IRQ assignment. Usually, changing the device's PCI slot will automatically change its IRQ assignment. You can also manually set a specific IRQ for each PCI slot in your system's BIOS. If you still cannot change the device's IRQ assignment, you should contact the device manufacturer for help on how to do this.

Make sure that all previous video card drivers have been completely removed from your system to avoid driver conflicts. Usually, to uninstall a video card's drivers, you just have to go into safe mode by restarting the computer, and continuously press the F8 key until you see the safe mode menu. Choose the option for safe mode, and press Enter. Once in safe mode, go into the Control Panel, and choose Add/Remove Programs. Look for your previous video card drivers in the list, and uninstall them. Once they are uninstalled, go into the "C:\Windows\INF\other" folder, and delete any INF files associated with your previous video card. Empty the Recycle Bin to complete the uninstallation of the video card drivers. Some video card's uninstall programs do not remove everything associated with the video card, which sometimes leads to driver conflicts. If you are unsure if your previous video card drivers are completely uninstalled, please contact the manufacturer of the video card to verify this with you.

Try adjusting the AGP aperture size in your system's BIOS. Usually it should be set to half the amount of RAM in your system, but this is not always the case. Try setting it to the lowest setting and see if your system runs more stable, then work your way up to see if the performance improves. 64 MB is a good aperture size for most systems.

If you have any advanced AGP features enabled in your system's BIOS, try disabling these options to see if this helps. Such options include AGP fastwrites and AGP 4X mode. You should also try setting the AGP drive control to "auto" instead of "manual", unless otherwise specified by the motherboard manufacturer. These options will usually only be found on newer motherboards.

You should also verify your power supply. It is recommended to have a 300 watt power supply with GeForce based video cards as they use more power than other video cards. A good 250 watt power supply is usually fine, but this depends on the type, and amount of devices in your system. To check the amount of watts your power supply outputs, turn off your computer, and open the casing. The power supply is usually located at the top-rear of the computer tower. There should be a sticker on the power supply itself, showing the amount of maximum output in watts (W). If you do not see this, you should contact your system manufacturer to find out this information. If you have the choice between getting an AT power supply, or an ATX power supply, it is recommended to choose an ATX power supply as they tend to be more stable.

Be sure that there are no background programs running. Virus protection programs and crash guard utilities often cause games to crash and lock up. In order to check if there are any background programs running, press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time. This will bring up the Close Program window. Here you will see all the background programs running on your system. The only two programs that need to be running are "Explorer" and "Systray". To close the other programs, highlight the one you want to close, then click on End Task. Repeat this process until only "Explorer" and "Systray" are left, then try your game(s) again.
    them - When I click on this it crashes.
    me - OK, reboot and let's troublesho...
    them - See, it did it again...
    me - sigh

Some of the new video cards have a 5V in jack. I suppose it would be handy with older mobos if you could plug straight in to the power supply!
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.