mind bogling

Thread: mind bogling

Question mind bogling

I will start off by explaining the problem and then my attempts to fix it which is how I have come to the conclusions I have.

My friend bought a new PCI video card and tried to install it. For some reason he first put in the card, went into windows disabled the old one, took it out and then his monitor would not respond when he turned on his computer. Realizing he was a fool he turned to me. I took home is computer and started my trouble shooting. First I took the original AGP card and put it in the computer. I tried several combinations of just the AGP card just the PCI and both. Nothing worked. Then I thought the cards might be bad so I tested them both in another computer while trying two other PCI and AGP cards in the problem computer. All the cards proved good but none worked. Then I followed up with well maybe there is hard drive issues. So I took out the hard drive (which didn’t have a spot to change jumper settings. I find this odd.) and placed it into a functioning computer. I went through windows decided to reformat and took it out determining it is a good hard drive. I put this back into the problem computer. Then I ripped out all other PCI devises more because I kept poking myself on them when juggling the video cards. At one point I happened to have the keyboard unplugged. The monitor responded with an error message. Then I had a brainchild idea. Ill pull out the keyboard, wait for the Compaq splash screen and plug it back in. This worked and I went through the windows installation. After all was done I shut down and not even the keyboard trick could get display back. Now I believe to have seen it all. My diagnosis is a bad mother board but its interesting it worked until a new card was put in. Doesn’t seem to analytical. And, FYI, I did check all cables to make sure they are firmly in place. Please someone figure this one out.

Of course the keyboard trick wont work, you burned out the PS/2 socket, which is NOT hot swappable such as USB. Now the original issue of no screen was simple. You/He should have started the pc in safe mode, then removed teh old drivers. What is happening is windows was still set at say 800x600 32 bit colors. The new card, not having it's proper drivers installed will let windows only recognize 640x480 256 colors. So when you tried to start windows with old drivers on new card, CONFLICT.

Somewhere along the line, maybe the motherboard did get whupped.

Also, you say "both cards proved good but didn't work" How is that possible? Sounds like both cards are bad, if in another system they aren't working.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Darren Wilson

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...&f=17&t=004892

Duplicate topics.

Next time both will be deleted.

Sorry but it Forum rules.