[RESOLVED] DVD Query for you all to have a go at!

Thread: [RESOLVED] DVD Query for you all to have a go at!

Darren Wilson

Post DVD Query for you all to have a go at!

Today, I have had a system in that has been a right pain in the rear. Here is the story:-

Customer comes in this morning and purchases a 8x40x CTX DVD Drive (IDE) and an ATI Rage Fury MAXX 64Mb AGP card. I fit them all working fine and playing the DVD's I have in the shop. Customer happy. Customer leaves. He goes into town and buys 2 brand new DVD films (Stigmata and 007 The World Is Not Enough). He gets home goes to play them and nothing happens. He phones me up and goes through the problem with me. Nothing working. Brings system back into shop, he is right it isn't working. Try one of the shop DVD discs (Demolition Man) and it plays first time no config change!!!! Put one of the new discs in and it doesn't work!!!! Try the new discs in the shop system and don't work!!! All the discs are Region 2 coded (as I am in the UK) and the software is set for Region 2. I then notice that the new DVD discs are gold underneath instead of Silver. Anyone else seen this before??? Before anyone suggests it they are not copies as I went out and bought one myself from a large store shrink wrapped as well. Nothing I do will make these DVD's play, so I went to my local electronic household goods store and asked them if they could try them on their home DVD players. They both play first time perfectly!!!!!
    So I try the Gold DVD's on another new system ( Athlon 750, 256Mb PC133, 12x Toshiba DVD with a multitude of different cards inc GeForce's, other ATI's, S3 Savage etc) and still no playback but the silver DVD's work fine!!!!
    To cut a long story short the only way I could get the Gold DVD's to work on a PC was to install a RealMagic Hollywood+ card alongside the display adaptor!!!!

The whole point to this story is has anyone else noticed the different coloured DVD disc's before???? This was a first for me and I have quite a few myself, but they are all Silver!!

Any ideas people???? Even the local electronics store hasn't seen any other colour discs until today.

You don't think it could be a new encryption process that is being used that only a true hardware decoder can decrypt??? This is what it looks like to me??

Let us know what you think or find of this as it would be interesting.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

Well actually alot of the dvds here in the us atleast where i am are manely gold like u said. We do also have the silver.

Wow, that's the best thread resurrection I've seen for a while, only took DW five and a half years to get an answer to his topic!

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Talking

My God! That was the first response.That is like mother nature sending sand to someone that was stones,using the erosion method.

Talking

lol yeah it is kind of funny five and a half years i wonder if dw will even check it.