Win2000 Pro and Voodoo 3 drivers

Thread: Win2000 Pro and Voodoo 3 drivers

Unhappy Win2000 Pro and Voodoo 3 drivers

I just install win2000 pro on a Amd K-6 500 system. I have a voodoo 3 2000 16 meg card. After installing 2000 I then went and downloaded the win2000 drivers from 3dfx for my voodoo card. I installed them and rebooted the system comes up in 640X480X256 no problem. I left click on the screen to change video settings ( I wanted to run 1024X768X16 bit) and the machine reboots. I tried several times with the same happening every time. I then tought maybe it would be a good idea to install DX8 and I did, and it still reboots. I then tried to uninstall 3dfx drivers which did no good. So now I have pulled my voodoo 3 and put in a S3 verge 4 meg card (YUCK!) any ideas on how to fix the voodoo 3 problem? I am at a loss. Is there a problem with the voodoo 3 2000 and win2000 pro???

Thanks

My Win2K Pro (has service pack 1 included)came with Voodoo3 drivers built in. The first time it started it was in 800x600x16bit color. Try reinstalling Win2K and check the driver it installs by default. If it still is not working go to the Microsoft Hardware compatability page. I think a driver exists there.

Yeah when I first installed it did see it as a voodoo3 3dfx card. I have service pack 1 installed also. Is there some way I can go back to the built in 3dfx drive? The only reason I updated it was due to the fact that games where not seeing it as a 3dfx driver.

Thanks

You could try installing the Standard PCI/AGP SVGA controller driver listed when checking Show all hardware in the driver list when updating the driver. Then after you reboot go back in the same screen and find the 3Dfx drivers, if you installed two versions, then should be listed with different dates. The older one will probably be Microsofts.

Thumbs down

I tried to do that but still with out luck. I guess 2000 is not liking the driver setup now. I guess what I will do is make a dual boot system and put 2000 (reinstalled) on 1 drive and win98 on the other drive so I can used a good video card. I should have figured win2000 would blow up on the voodoo 3 card. If I do I reinstall it will see the voodoo 3 and at least run.

Are you certain that you installed the Win2K driver? Because I am running a voodoo3 card in my 2k pro system, and haven't experienced this problem. I've installed every version available for 2k, and even one for NT. There is obviously something fishy going on there.

can you remove it from device manager? if so, then reboot and let it redetect the card. Be careful which driver you choose.

I suppose it could be a defective card. That seems like a hell of a software bug.

tk

Arrow

I a real sure I installed the y2K driver. It was working fine before I did that I went to 3dfx home page and downloaded the y2k driver installed it. But funny thing is the 3dfx tools don't work at all you can click on them to start them but they don't start. I know the card is good it works on win 98 and 95 just fine. I am going to blow y2k off hte drive and start over again to see if it was just me or the drivers.

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

Not to say that you haven't but try installing the chipset drivers for your motherboard before you install the video card drivers. I've found it makes it a little easier for W2K to detect the video card and the video cards drivers after doing this. Just a thought.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren