VIA IDE Drivers for W2K sucks... or its just me?

Thread: VIA IDE Drivers for W2K sucks... or its just me?

Thumbs down VIA IDE Drivers for W2K sucks... or its just me?

What the hell happens with VIA IDE Drivers under w2k???
    El Barto was here

Darren Wilson

BSOD's if you use anything less than 4-in-1 4.29v. If u use those or higher then they are perfectly fine. Even better if you usew the SP2 ATA100 fix as well.

Smile

As above 4.29 sweet as a nut, no problem have not had a go at sp2 yet though...
    "box it up and send it back before you hurt yourself"

4.29 IDE Drivers killed my CD's when I upgraded recently to my VP6 board. This happened three clean installs in a row (I had other drivers I questioned first). Finally, after yet another clean install I used all but the IDE support in the 4in1 and instead installed a different W2K VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA Controller (v3.1 from 4in1 4.26) I found on the web and no more problems.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

let's sort things out...

If you have VIA 686A southbridge (UDMA33/UDMA66) the best solution is NOT TO INSTALL the IDE driver at all. just add the EnableUDMA66 string in the registry and give it the value of "1"

if you have VIA 686B soouthbridge (UDMA100) then you must first install either Win2k SP2 or the the hotfix for UDMA100.
    and then the IDE driver that is found in 4.29 release.

actually if you don't want to - you don't have to install the VIA IDE driver AS LONG AS you do install all the other Patches in the 4in1 and the M$ hotfix (or Sp2)

also don't forget to install the VIA AGP hotfix.. (also in Sp2)

and this patch for VIA 686b http://www.viahardware.com/talkback/...45,93307,.shtm

all the resources - http://www.viahardware.com

Enjoy

Darren Wilson

Following on from Condors post, SP2 has a better version than the actual SP2 ATA fix which does fix the ATA100 prob fully this time.

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Following on from Condors post, SP2 has a better version than the actual SP2 ATA fix which does fix the ATA100 prob fully this time.
    The original pre sp2 fix did me no good with the VIA 4in1 v4.29 IDE Driver. With my setup, the 4.29 IDE driver kills anything connected to the onboard ATA100 controller (not the HPT370 RAID controller). I'm not about to run that driver again on top of sp2 just to see if sp2 solves any problem my board had with the 4.29 IDE driver.

The VIA IDE driver available as a separate download(V.3.01.1) is working very well for me currently. I don't use the sp2 ATA100 fix and have had no problems with the 4.29 4-in-1 previously. The VIA IDE driver and associated IDE tool works very well as you can set the mode on IDE devices if they're not working correctly in a particular mode. I've just installed a Seagate Barracuda ATAIII(Malaysia factory not Singapore) into my work system and everything is working sweetly so far at ATA100.

My understanding of the SP2 fix is that it only works with standard Win2k IDE drivers not with the VIA IDE drivers.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Darren Wilson

No the SP2 fix works fine with the 4.29 & 4.30 4-in-1 drivers and the actual SP2 itself makes the support even better.

Check your connector cables IDE cable for ATA/100 is an 80 pin connector cable which looks different than a 40 pin connector cable. smokinparts.com
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

At the minute it sucks big time.

Downloading SP2 and the 4 in 1 at the minute (damn I love my university's T1 line!) I'll get back to you folks when I've installed. 51kB/sec ain't life great?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Update. Installed the full VIA 4in1 4.30 (IDE drivers and all) and it didn't dump my CD's as 4.29 did...

Than you, fellows for all the useful info...
    It's a PIII550, so I probably won't find out which driver is better, 'cause life is too short, and I wont spend it staring at "based on NT technology". Whatever the default driver is.... goes.

This was my first post, so it's great to come here again and see all these people trying to help...

Happy birthday Darren!!! Cowabunga!!!

Sorry for the delay...
    El Barto was here