[RESOLVED] Voodoo 3 Breakdown

Thread: [RESOLVED] Voodoo 3 Breakdown

TVR

Resolved [RESOLVED] Voodoo 3 Breakdown

I have a voodoo3 card in a gateway pIII500 tower. It works ok for a day then thin black lines appear on screen, during the boot the bios message is garbled. It then won't work unless I put it in another PC, boot it, take it out and put it back in the Gateway. It seems to get hot but extra coolong hasn't helped.
    Any ideas guys?

eedmond
    You said you added extra cooling so I am assuming you added a bigger video card fan? I know Voodoo Cards run very hot so if the new Fan for the video card isn't enough I would suggest another fan for the front of your case and remove any cards that are near the video card slot so it has plenty of open air. Most Cases have a spot in back for a fan (the normal one) and there is a spot on the bottom of the tower in front for another. Try putting one there and see if this helps. Also are you overclocking the voodoo card? Have you always had it overclocked? Has this always happened ever since you got the card? Have you tried running the card in the 2nd mashine as if you where on the main one so you can see if it happens on that machine too or do you just plug it in boot it up shut it down and stick back in original machine?

-Eric

TVR

Hi Eric
    Thanks for your feedback. I've just replicated the problem in an IBM Intellistation. The IBM ran the card for 3 days without problem so I put it in the Gateway for 2 and the problem recurred, by swapping immediately it is doing it in the IBM now. It's not overclocked and the case has 2 rear and 1 front fan, the rear is directly above the card and no cards are in the adjacent slots, so I'm beginning to think that the card is duff. But it's strange that the IBM ran it so long without mishap when it's got less cooling.
    Happy New Year etc
    Peter