Which Slot is the AGP slot?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Slot is the AGP slot?

Post Which Slot is the AGP slot?

I'm not sure which slot in my computer is for an AGP 3D Card. Is it the Long Black one?? Can someone please describe to me what it looks like. I know what the PCI slot is tho

Should be the topmost slot in most situations if not all. If not that then the 2nd topmost slot (as some manufacturers I believe put a CNR as the top slot)

There are 2 black Slots on the bottom part of my computer....Like when its on the ground on its left side with the Back of the computer facing away from me, the 2 black slots are the last 2 on the left...hope that wasnt to confusing.

Topmost....usually brown. Set back a good bit from the rest.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

[quote]Originally posted by Homicide00:
    <strong>There are 2 black Slots on the bottom part of my computer....Like when its on the ground on its left side with the Back of the computer facing away from me, the 2 black slots are the last 2 on the left...hope that wasnt to confusing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, those are ISA slots. the white ones are PCI slots, the brown one is an AGP slot.

If you have any short brown slots those are AMR/CNR/ACR slots, those useless POSes

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/alienhardware/index13.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/alienhardware/index13.htm</a>
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

If it's an older motherboard (around 3-4 years or more) then it's entirely possible it doesn't have an AGP slot....

I just looked in my computer and the last Black slot (Of 2) has my Modem Chip in it. (Whatever its called) and I checked out AlienDyne's page and the slot doesnt look much like the one on the page. It looks more like the Vesa Local Bus Slot on that page.

Oh yeah, and I PRETTY SURE my computer is only 2 Years Old. Well Thats about when we bought it...but I don't know when it was made. You'd think there would be something on my computer that tells you all the parts...

These ports are usually pretty standard on most separately purchased mobo's. As has already been mentioned, There are long black (ISA) slots, shorter white (PCI) slots, and then one brown (AGP) slot. ISA is on the bottom, PCI in the middle, and AGP is on the top. AGP is also the shortest slot and is parallell with the others.

If your motherboard is one of those proprietary systems (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc.) that has a mobo extension card, then it could be anywhere. And if you can't put the video card into the slot so that the back of the card comes out of the case, then it's most likely not an AGP slot.

One last thing, it is entirely possible that the letters AGP are located somewhere near the slot in very small text.
    Hello World

<strong>I just looked in my computer and the last Black slot (Of 2) has my Modem Chip in it. (Whatever its called) and I checked out AlienDyne's page and the slot doesnt look much like the one on the page. It looks more like the Vesa Local Bus Slot on that page.

Oh yeah, and I PRETTY SURE my computer is only 2 Years Old. Well Thats about when we bought it...but I don't know when it was made. You'd think there would be something on my computer that tells you all the parts...</strong><hr></blockquote>

AGP : Brown slot
    AMR : Brown slot
    PCI : White slot
    ISA : Black slot
    VLP : Black and Brown slot

BTW, the slot on my webpage is an AGP one, but from an older motherboard which has AGP.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Should also note that an AGP slot sits slightly back from the other slots. I would say about an inch or so.

Alright I guess I don't have an AGP slot, or atleast one that I can use a 3d Card with. The reason I'm asking this question in the first place is because I'm getting a Geforce3 for Xmas and I wanted to make sure I had an AGP slot...

Okay since I don't have one, How can I get one? Do I need to buy a new Mobo? If so, is there any special type that I need to get? And would you guys recommend me buying it from <a href="http://www.newegg.com?" target="_blank">www.newegg.com?</a>
    Here are my System Specs just in case:

Manufacturer: Compaq
    Processor: AMD k-6 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, 500Mhz
    Memory: 312MB SDRAM PC-133
    3D Card: Voodoo3 2000 PCI

<strong>Alright I guess I don't have an AGP slot, or atleast one that I can use a 3d Card with. The reason I'm asking this question in the first place is because I'm getting a Geforce3 for Xmas and I wanted to make sure I had an AGP slot...

Okay since I don't have one, How can I get one? Do I need to buy a new Mobo? If so, is there any special type that I need to get? And would you guys recommend me buying it from <a href="http://www.newegg.com?" target="_blank">www.newegg.com?</a>
    Thanks Alot for all your help!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes you need to buy a new MOBO , All the newer mobo's are equip with agp slots so buy one where ever you want but think of the future upgrade you will want when buying it look in the $150-$200 range.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Don't I need a certain brand or type? SO its compatible with everything else in my computer?

<strong>Don't I need a certain brand or type? SO its compatible with everything else in my computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

well teh MOBO needs to support your Ram, CPU, and your o/s will have to have correct drivers for the rest of your hardware.
    Give us the specs of all your components and O/S.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.