Which Slot is the AGP slot? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which Slot is the AGP slot?

is there anywhere on my computer i can go to find out what type of mother baord or other information about my computer so i can find the right motherbaord?

now I cna't find any socket 7 boards that support atlest 500Mhz!
    Damn what a pain in the *** this is!

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Cool

Check my Tiger Direct Link, both the FIC and SOYO motherboards support the AMD K6-2 500 processor!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Alright this is what im gonna do...Since I got $80 right now and since my mom is gonna get me a mother baord, and my dad is gonna get me the geforce 3, I'll get the Athlon TBird I've been wanting...AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz 266MHz FSB Socket A PGA PROCESSOR, for $70. <a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=41&manu factory=1028&DEPA=1" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=41&manu factory=1028&DEPA=1</a> scroll down a bit.
    Thats the processor I'm gonna get, now I have to get a matching Motherboard: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manu factory=1280&DEPA=1." target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manu factory=1280&DEPA=1.</a> It looks like to me that they are compatible. I was gonna get the TYAN one but its ATA and i got ATX. Can you check out those links and see if they are compatible Pakprotector? Thanks alot

Hello Homicide00 from the Great White North of Alaska .I would go with the <a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=motherboard" target="_blank">MSI K7T2 66 Pro2</a>. It's an excellent board. I've not dealt with LeadTeck products so I really can't give an opinion as to their quality, but the MSI board uses the VIA K266A chipset which I believe is superior (The LeadTeck uses the ALI chipset). The 1 gig 266FSB T-Bird is an excellent choice. I would purchase the DDR ram from <a href="http://www.crucial.com." target="_blank">www.crucial.com.</a> It's great quality RAM and I believe it's around $62.00 for 256 meg PC2100 with free shipping. PC1600 is about ½ the price (right now they are only selling 128 meg sticks). Try this link for DDR Ram info <a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=MS-6380+V2.0+%28K7T266+Pro2%29&x=5&y=10" target="_blank">http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=MS-6380+V2.0+%28K7T266+Pro2%29&x=5&y=10</a> . I hope this is of assistance.

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Hey I'm having a little trouble finding the MSI K7T2, the link you gave me was to <a href="http://www.newegg.com," target="_blank">www.newegg.com,</a> not the page of the motherboard. I've been looking around in MSI but have found many boards that are similar to what you have written down.

Oh wait I think I found it. Is it 7th from the bottom, costs $104?

MSI K7T266 PRO2 (MS-6380) VIA KT266A AMD® 200/266 FSB DDR Socket A ATX MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL

Wow, I just got down looking over the Detail specs and it looks perfect!

I also just got 50 Dollars from my Grandmother. I now have $130, and I'm going to spend $70 on the Processor and I'll have about $60 left, just enough for the DDR Memory!

Thanks Alot Pakprotector!!

i just went to crucial.com and I did the memory selector, I picked Motherboards & RAID Cards and then went to MSI then K7T Pro2 and there was only SDRAM pc100 and pc133. I wanna get DDR!

Homecide00 wrote:

[quote] Oh wait I think I found it. Is it 7th from the bottom, costs $104?

MSI K7T266 PRO2 (MS-6380) VIA KT266A AMD® 200/266 FSB DDR Socket A ATX MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL

<hr></blockquote>

That be the Beastie! As to the DDR just follow the above link on my post. If not the board you are looking for is the MSI (Micro Star) MS-6380 V2.0 (K7T266 Pro2).
    Good Luck!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Dude, Newegg.com changed thier site around and I accidentily ordered: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz 200MHz Bus Socket A PGA Processor instead of: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz 266MHz FSB Socket A PGA PROCESSOR. And the motherboard you recomended to me has the FSB!!!!! Will the Bus one work with that motherboard?! OMG its coming tuesday too!!!!

Cool

O.K. take a deep breath, calm down, and repeat after me "How much wood could a Woodchuck chuck if a Woodchuck could chuck wood"? Feel Better? Otay then. The T-Bird 1 Gig 200 FSB will work fine in the MSI mobo. I see by the New Egg site the 266 FSB version is sold out. You can do only 1 of 2 things;
    1. Use the 200 FSB chip.
    2. Contact New Egg, tell them you made a mistake that you want the 266 FSB unit, get a Return Authorization, return the 200 FSB, and wait for the 266 FSB chip to get to your house.

Theoretically there's a 33% difference in Front Side Bus Speed between the 266 and 200, but in real world experience I'm not sure that holds true. I don't think you will see a huge difference (keyword huge). Your best bet may go with the 200 FSB and then sometime later in 2002 upgrade to a faster AMD T-Bird Processor. Right now I'm running the 1 gig T-Bird 266 FSB with 512 meg of PC133 Crucial (Micron) memory on a ASUS A7V mobo. I'm looking at building a new dual processor system this summer (either P4 or Athlon - haven't decided). I run Seti@Home and a dual processor system is very attractive.
    That being said you should have no problems with the 200 FSB unit, so enjoy your new system!
    Oh and Happy Holidays!

Uhh wait a minute, okay im confused. I just looked at my order status and it says CPU AMD|T-BIRD 1GHZ/266 PGA%, for $73...so I guess I did get the right one. I think I got the last one too!

Why is the 200MHz Bus more money then 266Mhz FSB? Whats the difference between Bus and FSB? And say that I did accidentely got the 200MHz Bus, would that work with the Motherboard which is FSB?

Nevermind this, if you haven't read it yet it was a question about Power Supply but I figured it out.

I think I'm going to have to get a new Case as well. Compaq's SUCK, I cannot believe what I saw after looking at the cases at newegg. The inside of my computer is Messy, Unorganized, Uncooled, Hard to work with, and just plain Ugly. Damn, if I get a new Case, I'm practicaly buying a new computer, with the exception of a CD-ROM Drive, Floppy Disk Drive, and Cable Modem.

Hey I got a question about the Case. If I have to get a new Case, I was thinking about getting the 2nd one on this <a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manuf actory=1316&DEPA=1" target="_blank">page</a> (My Grandfather is gonna give me like 40-50 Dollars for X-Mas ) When I Get the new Case, will there be anything else I need with my new Mobo, Processor, Video Card and Memory?

Cool

Well congratulations Homecide00 you have now entered the world of what started as a minor upgrade has now mushroomed into your first custom built computer. First things first - yes the 200 FSB processor would work with the MSI mobo. In the terminology we are using in this case FSB and Bus are the same. The 200 FSB's are more expensive because they are becoming passe, try pricing an old Slot A Athlon .
    The Aopen cases are good, and with a 300W power supply good deal.
    Well now that you are almost there if I may offer, You will have to FDisk and reformat your present Hard Drive (HD). Ya may need a new HD (depends on the condition of the present HD), as big as you can afford, and your own Operating System either Win98SE or XP-Home or Pro (I suggest XP - either version). Your current operating system is probably on your Compaq Rescue disk and will not like your new set up. As far as Hard Drives are concerned stay with the big boys (Maxtor, IBM (my preference), Western Digital, Fujitsu) 7200 RPM, ATA 100, at least 20 gig. The new OS will run you $99 for XP-Home Edition upgrade or $199 for XP-Pro Upgrade. I'm running XP-Home Edition and like it very much. You can do a clean install with an upgrade, but you will need a Win9x Disk in order to upgrade. Don't be daunted by the clean install task, it is not hard to do, but does take some time. I know this sounds complicated but it's as easy as reading North Korean VCR instructions!
    Actually just hang in there and if you run to any problems just post your question in the proper forum and you will get help.

So what your saying is I'll need a new HD? By the way I already have Windows XP Professional and I already made Boot Disks (Or whatever they are called) And I have already planned on Formating my hard drive when I get my new hardware. I can install the hardware, then turn my PC on with my boot disks and run the Format from there right? Or am I going to have to do all this BIOS and registry stuff first?

Whats this FDisk?

Cool

<a href="http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/" target="_blank">All you ever needed to know about Fdisk! Clicky Here!</a>
    If I'm not mistaken Compaq partitions the HD to keep some for itself (maybe ¼ gig or so). Compaq keeps the settings and such there. So when you do a clean install not only do you want to do a format C:, but a fdisk to repartition the HD. The XP install start up will ask you these questions. If the original HD is in good shape use it. At a later date you can get a bigger and better HD and slave the old one or place it by itself on a Secondary controller. Your options are pretty wide open for Raid too. As far as the BIOS settings follow the mobo manual for the settings and after you are used to your new PC you can play err...tweak with the settings. As far as the HD setup, processor, RAM those things are pretty much automatic detection by the BIOS these days. Oh and one other recommendation. XP will ask you which File System to use. I recommend NTFS over FAT32 (just my preference).