[RESOLVED] "THE" Best video Card for gaming
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] "THE" Best video Card for gaming

dlagace

Post "THE" Best video Card for gaming

what in your opinion is the best video card of all time. Ive got an ASUS v3800 32MB kind of going out of style I know.

------------------
    IF IN DOUBT FDISK /MBR especially with
    Windows (CTRL ALT DEL) 98

compaqman

Lightbulb

The best video card hands down is the GeForce 2 Ultra. There is nothing else that can touch it. Of course if you are looking for something a bit cheaper, go for something like the ATI Radeon. I'm currently running the 32MB DDR Radeon in a P3 733 and average about 90fps in Unreal Tournament at 1024x768x32. The 64MB Radeons are dropping in price and the drivers have become quite stable. Gefore 2 Pro is another alternative, just stear clear of any kind of Voodoo card. 3DFX doesn't even really exist anymore, Nvidia bought'em.

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.

Komok

Lightbulb

Agreed, Geforce2 Ultra is the word. I have been gathering money to buy it for sometime... but it's too darn expensive yet...

Want to send me money, anyone?

------------------
    A person who argues must be completely sure in himself. A thinking person would never be completely sure in anything. That's why two thinking persons would never argue; share their points of view they will

Darren Wilson

Thumbs up

Any of the DDR Radeon cards. In fact you don't really need ot go for anything other than the 32Mb DDR Radeon as the benchmarks and framerates are not that much better with the 64Mb version for the extra money. I run a 32Mb SDR and I have no qualms at all with any game that I have thrown at it.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

I have the 64mb DDR Radeon and I agree it screams. Also never had a problem with any game I have.

Talking

I say Nvidia all the way... GeForce2 Ultra are great cards.
    I think NVidia have the best support. The drivers are solid, Detonator3 driver is universal. You just have to pick your OS version.

I agree you do pay a premium for a top card though.

Scutter

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

ikarus1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scutterboy:
    I say Nvidia all the way... GeForce2 Ultra are great cards.
    I think NVidia have the best support. The drivers are solid, Detonator3 driver is universal. You just have to pick your OS version.

I agree you do pay a premium for a top card though.

Scutter

</font>
    I agree completely, except about the price:
    www.mwave.com has the Guillemot 3D Prophet Geforce2 PRO card in an OEM version with 64MB of 5ns ram for $289, which is a freakin steal for Hercules cards.........

I have a Hercule GeForce MX, and it's the best video I have ever purchased, and I imagine this card is just the same but better and faster, for about twice the amount I paid for my MX......

------------------
    If all you see is a beige metal box with wires and such, look again. Now turn it on....

StevePorter

Thumbs up

I'm been impressed with the Hercules re-emergence back into producing top-of-the-line video hardware. A few years ago, I paid $225 for a Hercules Stingray 128/3D, with 6MB and the VooDoo Rush chipset. It was a lot of money then, but it played everything you threw at it; the drivers were rock solid. I'm looking forward to getting a Prophet card one of these days, or its successor...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

MDD1963

Granted, all the GF2 GTS, Pro, and Ultra variants really rock....but for $90, the 56 frames/sec in demo1 for Quake3 offered by an MX at 1024x768x32xmax is quite a bargain. Yes, maybe I'd be pushing 100 fps at that res with a $499 Ultra, but for $90? The MX rocks!

Now if the Ultra would just fall to GF2 MX prices......!

ikarus1

WHERE IS THE NV20?
    Jeez, you'd think nVidia would follow their own 6-month cycle - I am not purchasing a GF2 class card until the prices come down. I guess when you absolutely decimate then purchase the competition, you leave products out there on the market for quite a bit longer
    That being said, benchmarks generally show the GF2 Pro cards to be within a few fps of an Ultra, for at least $100 less sometimes alot less....and the memory speeds / core can be clocked the same (Hercules is notorious for o/c their own cards......)

------------------
    If all you see is a beige metal box with wires and such, look again. Now turn it on....

x_789

Well being a die hard Vodoo man Along with my two best friends we all got tired of waiting on 3dfx last summer and then with the crapy reviews the 4500 was getting we all bought Guillemot 3D Prophet Geforce2 PRO card with 64MB 400 a piece in July after all the driver issues and everything else i was somewhat dismayed. Then i had a ati die in one of my other boxes so i bought a 4500 becuase i didnt want another Geforce card it was 150.00 in November. Well may i say that the 4500 VODOO now lives in my best machine and I personally think it rocks the Prhophet. After my two best friends saw it they Both bought 5500 and are very happy. Here is the delima Nvida just narrowed the compition again a month ago when they bought out 3DFX so now all we have left is ATI and NVIDIA so now picking a video card is like voting for Presiddnet you chose the one you dislike the least. X

mahdi

Oh yes, the GeForce Ultra is the way to go but for $500...ouch! I just picked up a GeForce 256 (only 1 year old tech) for $100, good price, good card. Not the best card, but for $100...cat go wrong

3D Prophet II

I guess my nic says it all, I like the Guillemot/Hercules version of the nVIDIA GeForce2 GTS. I've got the 64MB version and it rocks. I've also got a 3dfx V5 5500 AGP, I felt drawn to it, I don't know why, maybe because the V3 3000 AGP seemed to have rocked for me when it first came out, I don't know, but for those who say that the 3dfx cards come anywhere near as fast as the nVIDIA GeForce2 GTS's, Ultra's or PRO's are kidding themselves, I know the difference between the two, and there definitely is a difference. Know who else knew there was a difference? 3dfx, but guess what, they went belly up, good ridence, but I guess I'm beat, cause I've got three Voodoo cards. The V2 1000 PCI, the V3 3000 AGP and the V5 5500 AGP, none of which will ever see any updated certified drivers again.

Ebu

Talking

Well, I have a Voodoo 5 5500, and it rocks! Seriously. Too bad 3Dfx had to go the way they did. But, because of what happened, the price of the 5500 is dropping WAY down! Also, my neighbor has a GeForce 2 MX, and it works great! So, its just up to you. I would reccomend the V5 5500 AGP. I saw one for 150 bucks last week! So, really, its just up to you!

------------------
    When everything fails, reinstall the OS.

corelogik

the GeForce2 MX i just bought wasnt the most expensive card they had on the shelf, but it hasnt had a single hiccup yet.

I love it.

------------------
    CoreLogik - "I Control Your MotherBoard"
    Emotion Is Irrelavant
    [email protected]