what wrong with this system?

Thread: what wrong with this system?

Post what wrong with this system?

Greetings all-

I have a system that constantly locks up. I get all kinds of error messages. One of the more common ones is "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in mod kernel32.dll"

I cannot do anything with this system; it will lock up in less then five minutes. Will not start in normal mode, only safe mode (still locks up)

OS is Win95. Not sure of the motherboard type, I cannot find any sign of the model # / brand anywhere on it. Is is an integrated sound/video board, with a Cyrix 300 (actually 233) chip in it.

I was trying to rerun the Windows setup off the CD-ROM, but that locks up to.

Have tried different memory, swapping power supplies. Both have the same results (still locking up).

What should I try next? Could it be the processor?

I am getting the following error messages on normal startup (after the windows screen):

An exception 0E has occurred at (address) in VXD VIP(01) called from (Address) in VTDI(01). It may be possible to continue normally. Press any key..

I get 4 or 5 different messages like the above, then the PC locks up tight.

I could really use some help...

Thanks,
    Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Exclamation

U say it's a Cyrix 300 (actually 233) - does this mean it is being overclocked? If so, I would start by running the processor at it's manufactured speed of 233 and see how many of your problems disappear

I've found similar problems being caused by a faulty IDE data cable, also check that any Cyrix options are enabled in the BIOS setup. Since you've already tried memory etc, you'll need to continue the elimination process, by trying the CPU in another m/board etc.

Greybeard, Cyrix CPU's were "equivalent" rated, and ran at a lower clock speed than their rating, so I understand jakkwb to mean it's an MII-300, which is actually clocking at 233 MHz.

update: I disabled in chip and external cache and the system works fine - but a little slow..

Thank you,

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

[quote]Originally posted by jakkwb:
    update: I disabled in chip and external cache and the system works fine - but a little slow..

Thank you,

Al

Both of cashe memory? Little slow? LOL!
    I would say - toooooo sloooowwwww... As well as 386 PC - You can check it...

So, problem with cashe... If with disabled in BIOS L2 cashe system worked fine - You should resolder on-board cashe memory (may be,bad tag IC),or leave it as is - it will work just bit slower,and You won't be able to use UDMA option for HDD in Windows.

But if You had to disable (as additional) L1 cashe - most likely, what CPU itself is fried (L1 cashe gone bad). If so,try
    to underclock CPU like it was suggested.

Cyrix 300 CPU is running hot (especially if it's version with 2,9V core),so good big cooler is mandatory... Right now I have one fried IBM (Cyrix) 166MX CPU,what now works normally only on 60MHz FSB max (i.e. as 150 Mhz CPU) - not at 66Mhz FSB,as it was originally designed for...

Exclamation

I posted here a while back with a Compaq having the same problems , I tried a diferent CPU which got it going but it still locks up ( Unless it runs for a while , I can install Windows 98 )
    I have tried everything and I figure the motherboard is damaged , I can replace the board since it is proprietary , and the original k6 CPU is fried, It even freezes while in the cmos setup, clock even stops
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )