My Computer Won't Stop Restarting!

Thread: My Computer Won't Stop Restarting!

Unhappy My Computer Won't Stop Restarting!

Okay I just upgraded my computer. It was before:

Manufacturer: Compaq
    CPU: AMD-K6 500MHz
    Motherboard: -Don't Know- (Maybe SIS?)
    Memory: 312MB SDRAM PC133
    Video Card: Voodoo3 2000 PCI
    Sound Card: -None- (Integrated: ESS)

Now Its:

Manufacturer: Compaq
    CPU: AMD Athlon Thunder Bird 1000Mhz 266MHz FSB
    Motherboard: MSI-6380 KT7266 Pro2 266MHz FSB
    Memory: 256MB DDR
    Video Card: GeForce3 Ti 500 64MB DDR
    Sound Card: -None- (Integrated: Avance)
    And a new case, ATX 300W

When I first booted up my computer, I didn't change much in BIOS. But later on when I was trying to fix this Problem, I changed some things but then I just set it to BIOS Defaults anyway.

But the problem is that when ever I exit a Game (Expecialy Operation Flashpoint) the computer Restarts. And most of the time I lose all my information and my configurations reset! I cannot figure out what is wrong! I tried this one thing that someone mentioned, disabling Wake-Up options in BIOS. That didn't work.

----------

Okay I downloaded DocMem, I made a bootdisk like it told me. I put the Bootdisk in my Floppy Drive and restarted my computer. After it loaded up the Floppy, my computer went to a black screen with a little blinking line at the top left corner of the screen. When ever I hit a key the screen would blink and something would happen with the Floppy Drive. Nothing else happend so I took out the Bootdisk and restarted my computer.
    DocMem did not work.

Do you guys think it might be a problem with a DATA CABLE? When I put my system together, my Case only came with two Data Cables, one for the Floppy Disk Drive, and one for the Hard Drive. So I took the Data Cable for my CD-ROM from my old system and used that. I was then getting some problems with my CD-ROM. I couldn't install anything off of my CD's or take anything off them. So I switched around the Hard Drive Data Cable and the CD-ROM Data Cable and I could then use my CD-ROM.
    Also, there was a wire that was in the back of my CD-ROM that is supposed to hook up to a 4-pin on my old motherboard. the 4-pin plug was between the PCI Slots. But there is no plug for that wire on my New motherboard. And I don't know what that wire is for.
    God will someone please help me!

If you had problems with the ide cable when using it on the cd rom, it should not be used for the hard drive. What you can do is set the hard drive as master and the cd rom as slave and set them both on the same ide cable or get a new ide cable for your hard drive..a good quality one..

The four pin cable is your cd rom audio cable and it should have somewhere on the sound card to plug it into..there is a couple of different configurations though some leads have two black ends but some have a white end to plug into the sound card
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Yeah, mine has a black end which plugs into the back of the CD-ROM and a white end which plugs into the motherboard. There is a plug where I can put that wire into, but only the black end will fit into it. the white end is a 4-pin but is smaller.

About the Slaving thing you were talking about. How would I go about doing that? Like don't I need a cable to go into the CD-ROM to the motherboard? I also have to set up the master and slave in the BIOS correct?

The Master/Slave settings are on the drives. You probably only need to set the CD-ROM to Slave, if it isn't already, but see the reference to CS below. Most modern drives have a 3 position jumper on the back near the data cable connector. It is probably marked: MA SL CS. These are the positions for Master, Slave and Cable Select. Move the jumper to what you want the drive to be. If the BIOS is set to AUTO for all drives, it will read how you have the drives set.

The commonest setting would be Hard Drive as Master, CD-ROM as slave, use the new data cable (which should have 3 connectors on it) to connect both to the motherboard.

Being a Compaq, you may find the drives set to CS, which may be why you had trouble with the new cable, you can change both drives as above.

With your Audio lead, you'll need to get one with the larger black connector on both ends.

With your boot disk, that's what happens, you were at a DOS prompt, you need to type the name of the test program on the disk (DOCMEM I guess) & hit the Enter key.

And for your original restarting problems, it may be due to Windows being a bit confused waking up on a new system. Did you un-install the old video & sound drivers before you upgraded? You don't say what OS it is, but for games I guess probably Win98. Try booting to Safe Mode (press F8 at startup if not used to doing this) go to Device Manager and if there are still drivers for the Voodo & ESS sound, delete them.

As a more severe measure if this doesn't work, you could force re-detection of the hardware by deleting the ENUM key in the registry, but if you don't know how this works & how to back up the registry, post for more info, or search previous posts for references in earlier advice. Doing this could get you in trouble if you only have a System Restore CD or HDD partition rather than a Windows CD, if the system needs to get drivers from the CD.

Good luck.

my computer really isnt compaq anymore. The Only thing I still have from my old system is my CD-ROM, Floppy Disk, Hard Drive, and 1 IDE Cable for the CD-ROM, everything else is new. New mobo, new cpu, new graphics card, new memory, new internet card, and new case. and my Operationg System is Windows XP Professional. And when I upgraded my system (more like rebuilt) I deleted my hard drive partition and did a fresh install of WinXP Pro on a RAW partition. NTFS.

I think my restarting problem is a problem with my IDE Cable from my OLD system.

Exclamation

I would check your CPU for overheating, Those AMDs tend to get hot
    Make sure you used heatsink paste between the CPU and heatsink
    Also is yor power supply AMD approved?, A good PSU is fairly heavy comapared to the bargain brands
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

There is that heat stuff between my CPU and HeatSink. Well I'm not sure if its a heat problem because i dont know whats too high. The highest mine cpu usually gets to is 106 F. My Power Supply came with the Case i bought; Enlight, its 300W