[RESOLVED] pc to tv

Thread: [RESOLVED] pc to tv

rod

pc to tv

A friend of mine is going blind she needs to use a large monitor to see pc can she use a pc to tv card and use her 27" tv as a monitor. if yes what is the cheapest way to do this. what kind of computer would she need. please advise. thank you!

Darren Wilson
    any Pentium PC will suffice. There is a large variety of VGA cards with TV out capabilities ranging from the budget Trident 9685 PCI upto the Diamond Viper V550 RivaTNT AGP card. One word of warning though, using Windows apps on a large TV screen makes the image very flickery and blurred slightly. This is down to the lower resoloutions that TV screens run at ( 248x170 ).

Darren is exactly right. When you try to send your display to a TV the image quality is very poor. I helped a friend of mine put together a similar setup. All he needed to do was show a PowerPoint slide show on the TV and it was impossible to read until he made made the fonts extremely large. It actually worked pretty well for the slide show, but you could forget about being able to work within Windows or running applications - the quality of the display made it impossible to read any of the text on the screen.

I know it is very expensive, but if there is any way your friend could afford a big monitor it really would be a much better way to go.

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

I whole heartedly agree....

monitors are getting quite cheap and a 19" monitor goes for around $300!

Well worth the money since TVs have a poor resolution that puts more strain on the eyes.

------------------
    Say what?
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

I whole heartedly agree....

monitors are getting quite cheap and a 19" monitor goes for around $300!

Well worth the money since TVs have a poor resolution that puts more strain on the eyes.

------------------
    Say what?
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

Actually, the Asus video cards use the Chrontel chips for TV-out...they're usually a bit clearer. Just use 800x600, set for large icons and large fonts and it's workable

An Asus V-7100/T (GeForce2MX) video card shouldn't be more than $120 retail. Keep in mind you can't BOOT to the TV as a monitor, so keep a monitor handy.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

evilcabbage

If only data projectors were cheap. Maybe they may be a viable option over there, but down here, they are unfortunately, criminally expensive.

I took home the work projector a few weeks back, (had a meeting off site, and needed to keep it safe over the weekend... indoors of course!)

Ran Unreal on it, projected onto the wall....
    Size was 6ft tall...! EXCELLENT FUN....
    Might try and pick up a cheapy second hander?
    whatya rekon?

------------------
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...