Heat Sink

Thread: Heat Sink

Unhappy Heat Sink

I'm putting together a system w/ left overs and when I was clamping the heatsink on a Intel 200mmx the plastic tab on the socket5 broke off.This is just a system I'm giving to my Uncle.The heat sink doesn't have a fan-Heat sink only.Now What??Can it run w/out it? Thanks Christie

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Cweig:

The heat sink doesn't have a fan-Heat sink only.Now What??Can it run w/out it? Thanks Christie
    The answer is NO...it can not run without it. It will bomb out on you and hang up the system...probably right away as you are trying to boot up.

A lot of HP Pavilions use only a big heat sink on the CPU processor chip but they also have an intake fan blowing across the heat sink to disipate heat.

I'm sure that you can purchase a CPU cooling fan with clips for about $6 or so.

Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

A new cooling fan with clips will not help, by the sounds of it the retaining brace for the fan's clip is the part that is broken on the socket itself.

You could just invest in some bonding thermal paste and glue the heatsink/fan into place. I believe Artic Silver comes in an epoxy form. The only problem is once the heatsink/fan is on, it stays on. You could also use thermal tape but that does not transfer heat as well as Artic Silver.
    What do you mean its all my fault?...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Cool

Broke the tab on one of my slocket-based machines, just use a couple of zip ties now, suppose you could use a whole load and go straight around the board if it got desparate!
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Actually if it is only a 200MMX you may be able to get away without a fan on the CPU. But DO put one somewhere in the case so it is blowing cool air as close to the CPU as possible. We have many many used systems (Compaq, IBM, Dell) come through here (Computer Renaissance) with chips that old with only heatsinks and they work fine. (I don't LIKE it either, but if you have no choice, you're probably not screwed.)

Just make sure you don't OC the chip or try this with anything faster!
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!