[RESOLVED] Can't find a driver

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't find a driver

Patrick/roe

Can't find a driver

Alright, I'm running on a nice little machine I picked up cheap at an auction. Come to find out when it was delivered that the video runs off the motherboard, not cards like I prefer. No problem, until the HD crashed. I was able to recover most of the data, but I can't find the video driver to get back out of 16 color. If you haven't seen 16 color in awhile, thank your stars. Anyway, the manufacturer has changed phone numbers since then, and moved locates (Of course) and I"m stuck on how to get this video going without buying a card and disabling it. Being short on funds, I'd rather just find the driver. THe manufacter is iMiracle Microsystems, though finding their web site is as elusive as finding their phone number. It's an intel celeron 200... the board's made by imiricle too I believe. Any help? Thanks

Patrick

Any idea what video chip is being used on the motherboard? Perhaps generic drivers from the chip company may work...

Schultzz is right. You should be able to find a chip on the motherboard (probably near where the external VGA connector is). Many of these motherboards used a Cirrus Logic or S3 video chip.

Steve

------------------
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

flash
    Dude:
    If you get the BIOS numbers (on the bottom of the first screen when you boot up), we should be able to determine who the mboard manufacturer actually was (never heard of IMiracle as a MANUFACTURER) ... and from there can do some research to come up with the original video driver for the board. Using a 'generic' S3 or Trident whatever driver is NOT going to be your answer ... each chip and mboard configuration acts differently.
    For now, have you tried the 'generic' windows VGA driver that comes with W95 ??

kmondrush
    When you first boot the machine, the bios displays the video display driver information. If you are quick (or boot a few times) you can write it down and find the correct driver on you windows disk. The manufacture of the motherboard will also have the display drivers since it is built into the board. check out there website and talk to their support. Most will help you out. Last resort is to use windows generic svga pci video drivers. Good Luck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kmondrush (edited June 02, 1999).]

Shaggy
    Another alternative is to find the jumper which disables the on-board graphics card, and buy yourself another one! On-Board graphics cards are usually slow and are not at all up to spec for the latest apps and most new games!

------------------
    <_-ShaGGy-_>