[RESOLVED] update on Win98SE shutdown problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] update on Win98SE shutdown problems

gemstone

Angry update on Win98SE shutdown problems

Thanks to by331 and houseisland for their help. However fixes din't work with this machine. Have now re-installed Win98SE and tried the msconfig fix. nope, still doesn't shutdown, so now have to suspend and then power off button whene screen goes blank. Anybody got any other ideas?

Thanks to shawnMT for fix. Now hangs on shutdown but safe to switch off. Thanks for the help everybody. If it gets any better I'll put it on the board somewhere.

[This message has been edited by gemstone (edited May 14, 2000).]

shawnMt

I sent you the 98 vxd fix. Not sure if you've tried it but I've used it to fix a few shutdown problems.
    Originally sent to me by WildTech

Question

Without Linksys 10/100 NIC the problem remains? If no, try removing and reinstalling it (try also in another PCI slot). I had this problem with asus p3c-2000 and network cards. Hope it could be useful to you too!

Gotta love that Win98 VXD Fix eh Shawn?? I use that baby to fix all kinds of little quirks...

WildTech
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

larryf

Generally I have seen this with networked PC's - a good work around for this is to click start -- log off -- when the login screen appears hit cancel then shut down normally. It seems windows is not releasing mapped items and or nic drivers properly.

I would like to try this VXD if anyone has it handy.

shawnMt

larryf - sent you the patch...

------------------
    --Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.

An easy fix for some W98SE machines that won't shut down is to delete all temp files.
    Shut down all applications. Check Task Manager to make certain that they are all truly shut down.

Then use Find in the start menu to locate all temp files, *.tmp, and delete them all.

Some office machines which often have multiple applications open collect as many as 800 temp files over time.

Simply deleting the temp files will often allow the machine to shut down properly.