Still more Win95 problems

Thread: Still more Win95 problems

Post Still more Win95 problems

Different system than the other posts:

This system upon startup always says "windows was not shut down correctly. Run scandisk to fix...

When I try to run scandisk, it cannot find the program. Windows will then boot normally.

This comes up every time I boot this machine.
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Do you have an updated virus scanner? Check for viruses first. Are you able to run scan disk inside of windows?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Yes, an up to date NAV does not report any problems. I can run scandisk from within normal windows, but it keeps re-starting. I am now running it in safe mode.

Still, the DOS scandisk still wants to run at startup no matter.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Al

I would ghost the drive and then reload the system. Complete Fdisk, format, reload. If it works fine after that, then you know it is something software related (ie - WINDOWS ISSUE), or you could reapply the Ghost image, and see if that problem shows back up again.

Sounds to me like a Windows issue though.
    "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet...."

OK, I seem to have fixed the first problem with this system. Another small but annoying thing: When windows starts up, Internet Explorer pops up in a small window, and says this page cannot be displayed. It is version 5 on Win 95. It does this everytime.

Thanks,

Al

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jakkwb:
    <strong>OK, I seem to have fixed the first problem with this system. Another small but annoying thing: When windows starts up, Internet Explorer pops up in a small window, and says this page cannot be displayed. It is version 5 on Win 95. It does this everytime.

Thanks,

Al</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Check that internet explorer is not in the start up menu if not, go to start, run, sysedit, select wini.ini... is there anything with run= or load= ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

IE is not in the startup folder. In the win.ini file, there is this:

run= hpfsched

I guess that has something to do with a HP printer? (there is one on this system)

Any other items I should look at?

Thanks,

AL

If you've got profiles enabled "Users can customise their settings" under passwords, the shortcut to IE would be in Windows>Profiles>UserName>Startup>Programs>Startup

Have you tried there?

Good luck!