[RESOLVED] URGENT !! how do i reset factory cmos settings??

Thread: [RESOLVED] URGENT !! how do i reset factory cmos settings??

logitk

Unhappy URGENT !! how do i reset factory cmos settings??

i need help, please....
    i had the system up and running w/o problems and i shut if off to screw on the second drive and i had to pull the mother board out of the way and i think i did something because when it came back it could not detect the primary hdd but at least it was booting.

when it didn't detect the 1st hdd i entered the cmos and tried to auto detect but it was not working.
    so then i manually entered settings which might have not been correct.

then when i rebooted the system is inaccessable. it turns on and the disk spins, it sees the cd but not the floopy. i don't think i have a bootable win 98 cd.

any ideas or tips on how to restore factory settings on a board so that it at least sees the flooppy??????

thanks.

logitk

remove battery

Shinma

Ditto. Clear the CMOS. Make sure all the cables are on correctly as well. Good luck.

b_fleury

It's probably a loose IDE cable on your primary chain.

logitk

Cool

thanks for the reply.
    i did remove the battery for a few minutes then put it back in, checked and secured all pluggable cables. - turned her on and during the startup routine i got an error message that the CMOS battery was running low. i hit f1 and continued into 98. i created a startup disk and restarted the computer again. - this time the same original symptom (?sp) - power but no floopy nor hdd access -
    does anyone know if i killed the battery and need to replace or if time turned on will recharge the battery?
    thanks.
    Originally posted by Shinma:
    Ditto. Clear the CMOS. Make sure all the cables are on correctly as well. Good luck.

goofball

it said that because you took the battery OUT

logitk

Question

hey goofball,
    thanks for your reply. if figured as much. my question is - will having the system on recharge the battery or do i need to buy one. i'm still not able to get the system to boot up even though it has power running thru it.

Originally posted by goofball:
    it said that because you took the battery OUT

logitk

Question

Hi b_fleury,
    thanks for your response. where is the primary chain located? i touched every pluggable cable on the board but am not sure where the ide cable is.

thanks.
    Originally posted by b_fleury:
    It's probably a loose IDE cable on your primary chain.

goofball

if it is a flat silver disc they do not recharge, if you are getting a batt low message every time you boot, then replace the batt,

The IDE controlloer (socket) is what the ribbon cable is inserted into on the mainboard...remove all the ribbon cables, and re-insert them one at a time, starting with the floppy cable...majke sure that you have pin 1 alligned with the red (or black) stripe on the cable. If you're not sure which end of the board connector pin 1 is on, look carefully at the socket. It will be labeled with a small "1", or a raised triangle. Also, make sure that "twisted" end of the floppy cable is inserted into the board-on some it doesn't make a difference, but just to be safe...also, for the HDDs, make sure that the primary(master) is plugged into the mid connector (again, on some boards this doesn't make a difference, but on the safe side...). Pin 1 (the red stripe) on a HDD goes towards the power connector...oh, and by the way, buy a new cmos battery....
    Chunga's Revenge
    Kill them all, for God will surely know his own....

The IDE controlloer (socket) is what the ribbon cable is inserted into on the mainboard...remove all the ribbon cables, and re-insert them one at a time, starting with the floppy cable...majke sure that you have pin 1 alligned with the red (or black) stripe on the cable. If you're not sure which end of the board connector pin 1 is on, look carefully at the socket. It will be labeled with a small "1", or a raised triangle. Also, make sure that "twisted" end of the floppy cable is inserted into the board-on some it doesn't make a difference, but just to be safe...also, for the HDDs, make sure that the primary(master) is plugged into the mid connector (again, on some boards this doesn't make a difference, but on the safe side...). Pin 1 (the red stripe) on a HDD goes towards the power connector...oh, and by the way, buy a new cmos battery....
    Chunga's Revenge

logitk

Cool

Hi! guffball,
    thanks for the reply.
    i was thinking of buying a new battery tomorrow. i've had the system turned on to see if it recharged but i get zilch. no boot whatsoever. thanks again.

Originally posted by goofball:
    if it is a flat silver disc they do not recharge, if you are getting a batt low message every time you boot, then replace the batt,

logitk

Cool

Hi Chunga,
    thanks for your reply. i will do the re-cabling as you suggested and i will also buy a new battery. it is the flat silver kind.
    thanks for the details.

Originally posted by Chunga:

You're quite welcome...anytime. Let me know if you need anymore help...
    Chunga's Revenge

logitk

Wink

Hi!
    just had to drop you a note to let you know that she's working!!!!!
    i bought the new battery. no luck
    i redid all the cables as you instructed and success.... short lived though
    i bought a new ide cable and success.... this time i was able to reboot a solid 10x..

-- thanks for your help.
    and thanks to whomever is hosting this site.

Originally posted by Chunga:
    You're quite welcome...anytime. Let me know if you need anymore help...