[RESOLVED] creating a bat file to remove registry entries

Thread: [RESOLVED] creating a bat file to remove registry entries

mjbauer

Post creating a bat file to remove registry entries

hey all,

i want to know if there is a way to create a bat file to delete registry entries. background, novell offers a contextless login without using catalogs, all it is a bat file that adds a .dll to the system directory and also adds a registry entry. i modified that bat file to prune the searching to specific areas of the nds tree (all i did was add another registry key and a few dwords). everything is working fine at this time, but i want to get prepared for when or if the bottom falls out on this. from what i can tell, a key is created called graphical login in the novell key under software, if i can get rid of that, then all should return to the way it was before CL was installed.

thanx
    Matt

a reg entry is just a text file with the approate ext. so make a text file with the hive and location that you want and then name it *.reg you can make a batch file,and in registry go to the run or the run once and put the key in here this will run when you start windows next time, an easy way to change the registry is to go to start run and type regedit ****(YOU CAN KILL YOUR SYSTEM BY REMOVING THE WRONG REG ENTRY YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD ***** so make a back up of the user.dat and system.dat save they keys you want and then modify them and boom your there ! hope this helps

MacGyver

If you want to be prepared for impending disaster, then invest in a tape backup system or CD-R and use it religously! It will pay for itself the first time you need to recover a file.

If you are confident in your skills with understanding Novell context, trees, etc. then you should be able to edit the REG file without any issues and get the results that you want, but I echo bgoff_ak's comment above: DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND EVEN THEN ONLY IF YOU HAVE A RELIABLE UP-TO-DATE BACKUP. Even the best of us make mistakes now and again.

mjbauer

is there a command to delete the registry key that i could put in a .bat file, i have backed up the registry, so thats no prob

example, that .bat file used to create the keys uses the word start, is there a command to reverse this

thanx
    matt

Help for those using XP

Hi all,
    I know this is an old post and not about XP but this post shows up in the search engines when I searched for a way to add registry values through a bat file (without the need for a .reg file or any 2nd file).

What I found was that the reg.exe file seems to work quite nicely from within a batch file. For those of us who are new to the reg.exe file, be sure to check out the different parameters by reading all the help with the /? switch. It doesn't work the same as importing the value through a .reg files so read carefully understand that a mistake in the registry can be fatal!

Eric