Need to Know what type of memory to get...

Thread: Need to Know what type of memory to get...

Post Need to Know what type of memory to get...

I didn't know where else to ask this. But I want to buy some memory, and I saw on the Main Page of this site, memory prices. I don't know what type of memory to get, RDRAM, PC150? Where on my computer can I find out what type of memory to get?
    Also, are those the Prices for memory that windrivers.com sells? And if they are the prices for Windrivers.com...where's the link to buy it??? Oh yeah, Where do you guys recomend me getting memory at? I've never bought memory before, and I don't know to much about it.

Go to Crucial.com and use their System Selector.

If it doesn't list your system there, just tell us what system you have...motherboard, ETC, or if you didn't build it yourself tell us the brand and model number...

As for what brand? For basic use I like Crucial, however they don't make RDRAM. Check the Intel board (on WinDrivers) as there is a thread about which kind of RDRAM is the best. I like Mushkin if I can't find Crucial, or if I'm looking for high-performance RAM.

So just tell us the model number and brand of your system or motherboard and we will tell you

Crucial! Thats what it is! Last night I heard an advertisment on the radio for memory and I was in bed so I was too lazy to write down the address. A little while ago I was trying to remember what the address was, I thought it was like crucium or something, haha.

Alright, I'm gonna go check out crucial real quick and if I can't find it there then I'll come back and give you that info you needed.
    Thanks man.

Okay I'm at the site and I got to questions now...

1. The largest module size is 128MB, and my maximum capacity is 384MB, is there anyway I can get 384MB Memory? I have 56MB right now, Would I like have to buy 3 128MB Modules?

2. I don't know wether to get PC133 or PC100. I'm trying to make my computer as fast as possible and I got about $100 dollars to spend.

Yeah, just buy 3 128 sticks. You COULD buy a 256 and a 128, although I wouldn't do that because there is no guarantee your computer will recognize the 256 stick, since it probably didn't support it to begin with.

Well as for PC133 or PC100...PC133 is better and will work fine even on a system that can't utilize the 133 FSB, and since it's the same price as the PC100 I would get the PC133. Also, on the Crucial site, where it lists the modules, it shows something like this on the right column:

SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64

Get the modules where it says CL=2 as opposed to CL=3..it's only $1 more and is faster. If you have trouble finding it, it's the 12th one down on this page:

Click here

Best of luck, you won't believe how much of a difference the extra RAM will make

I just ordered 2 Modules, I didn't want to get 3 Because I wasn't to sure how much money I could make off my Voodoo5 5500 PCI card, So I just ordered 2. Hey, I got another question... I got my Voodoo5 5500 PCI at christmas and it worked on my computer at my mom's house, which is older but is the same brand of computer which I'm using right now. (Compaq Presario) Before I had the Voodoo5 in my mom's computer, I had a voodoo3 2000 pci in there for a little while. then I put the Voodoo5 in and put the Voodoo3 in this computer. Then later on, I moved in with my dad (this computer) and I put my voodo5 in this computer. For some reason once my computer like detects the card, my computer just totally locks up, only thing I can do it turn the computer off and on again. I tried it on my grandfathers computer and it froze also (his is an HP which is even older than the one at my moms) then I put the voodoo5 back in my moms and worked fine! What the hell? I posted this on a 3DFX forum a long time ago and someone said to change like my refresh rate and ****. I also tried reformating my computer and that didnt help. Well if you can help thanks. But if you don't know then I was wondering how much you think I can sell it for? and where do you think I should sell it at? I checked on the internet for the lowest price I could find and it was $136. I was thinkg about selling it in the newspaper for like $100. What do you think?
    Then I'll pay my dad back for the Memory Cards and at christmas time he said hed get me a 3DCard, and I'd also get some money from my relatives so if I saved the money I got from the voodoo5 card I could get an Athlon XP...

[quote]Originally posted by Homicide00:
    But if you don't know then I was wondering how much you think I can sell it for? and where do you think I should sell it at? I checked on the internet for the lowest price I could find and it was $136. I was thinkg about selling it in the newspaper for like $100. What do you think?
    Then I'll pay my dad back for the Memory Cards and at christmas time he said hed get me a 3DCard, and I'd also get some money from my relatives so if I saved the money I got from the voodoo5 card I could get an Athlon XP...

I'd try eBay..the news paper fees will eat up any money you'll think of making on this card.