Internet Connection Sharing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

Post Internet Connection Sharing

I have my comptuer networked to another in my house through two network cards and a twisted cable. I was running a third party program to connect to my computer through the host. The program was pissing me off so I deleted it and tried to use Internet Connection sharing. I can now get files on each comptuer and print on the networked printer. The problem is that I can't get the internet from my comptuer (the client not the host). IF I specify an IP then I can get the files and use the printer from the host. However, if I select to obtain it automatically like windows says, I can't even share the files that I want to share. Does anybody else know what else I can do?

------------------
    Jared
    Jared

shawnMt

Recheck your DNS and Gateway settings in TCPIP properties on the client machine.

------------------
    Computer Geek + Football Freak - man I have issues

Paint your old laptop!

what ip addresses and subnet masks are you using?
    make sure the machine you installed ICS on is using an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0
    #3 1951-2001

My DNS is disabled and my Gateway is not set. The IP for the host is 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for the client comptuer. Both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0 ANy other suggestions?

------------------
    Jared
    Jared

Add the NETBEUI protocol for sharing files
    Use the TCP/IP for ICS
    Get the best of both worlds.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

if im not mistaken, if you share the files using netbeui, you have to set the workgroups the same.

------------------
    prompt$p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

What do you mean by set the workgroups the same?

------------------
    Jared
    Jared

keep the host pc(the one with internet connection sharing installed) with the ip number 192.168.0.1 and the subnet 255.255.255.0 as someone else stated. on the client pc(the one tring to get internet for host), set it to obtain the ip. don;t use netbeui...not needed.... if you play games on this network, leave ipx/spx, if not...remove that too. after you do this, run the floppy disk the host made on the clinet pc again. check to see if the internet is working...if so and the hard drive or folders, and printer is shared, you should be able to access it.

i have dealt with this quite a bit for clients. not the most effiecnt way to share internet. i have found it not to be the most reliable internet connection for the client. but that setting with tcp/ip is the only way it will work....you can have ipx/spx and netbui if desired, but not needed expect for ipx/spx for some network games.

i hope the spill helps. e-mail me if you need any other help at [email protected]

Spoogy
    SMACK!!

I have all those things set already. It still won't work. If I remove netbeui I can't share files or if I set the TCP/IP on the client and the subnet mask I can see files but I can't get an internet connection. Should I get rid of netbeui? I keep getting told to set the TCP/IP to obtain it automatically so that would mean that I would have to keep netbeui in order to share files, which people tell me to remove netbeui because it causes problems. I don't like this.

------------------
    Jared
    Jared

i have set up a pier to pier connection from pc to lap top using tcp/ip we set the workgroups the same and activated the file sharing we then created a client disk from the WIN98SE internet sharing program on the OS CDROM we simply connected the computer that was to be the host to the internet then placed this client disk into the laptop and run the program that win 98 had created making sure that ics was switched on the main computer and voila we had sharing also file sharing at the same time the only time the pier to pier failed was when i tried to install win proxy this overlaid tcp/ip binding with netbeui causing the to computers to not see each other when i removed the netbeui bindigs everything worked swimingly
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

to set the workgroups go to the control panel>>networks. under networks, to to identification. the top line is computer name, the second is workgroup, the third is description. give the top line a unique name on each computer. set the workgroup to whatever you want, as long as it is the same on both (i.e.: workgroup). reboot the computers.
    by this point you should have netbeui installed and the computers will see each other. just make sure you boot the one w/ the net connection first.

------------------
    prompt$p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

The workgroups were already the same.

------------------
    Jared
    Jared

elpa

Unhappy

Hi, I had the same problem. I tried to connect 14 computers and share the internet connection with Windows 98 secon edition. It's supposed to share the connection. After two weeks asking everywhere, techs from microsoft told me that you can't share printers, folders and the internet connection at the same time. You have to share either the connection or printers and folders.
    How did I solve the problem? I bought a lan modem connection. It's something you connect to the hub (as another PC) and to that stuff you connect your external modem.

Or, don't share files or printers on the system that is acting as the ICS server....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I don't know if this is resolved yet but you might want to check and see if you have "Use DHCP for WINS resolution" selected on the Wins configuration tab for tcp/ip properties of your NIC
    On the client machines, not on the server

[This message has been edited by Weazel (edited September 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Weazel (edited September 21, 2000).]
    #3 1951-2001