blue screen of death vxd errors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: blue screen of death vxd errors

Post blue screen of death vxd errors

I get constant blue screen of death vxd errors. I have got them for months now and cant solve the problem. They occur all the time. Wether im playing a game, unzipping something or searching the internet these blue screens rapiddly occur. The messages vary, but are always .vxd errors. Any help on how to solve my problem would be great---

Thx

First thing I would try is replace the memory.

Originally posted by KWB Teck:
    First thing I would try is replace the memory.
    I agree with KWB Teck. Memory would be my number one suspect.
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....

And if that doesnt work (vxds are crappy this way) just reinstall the OS that has worked for me many times in the past you don't even have to reformat just reinstall.
    "If PacMan had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to electronic music."
    -- iso, /.

ive tried reinstalling windows, and reformnatting many times--- but right when I'm done, WHAM! they hit me. I tried taking it in to the store and they didnt fix it. They said its not the memory, and ran tests on the ram. Is it my drivers??? If so how do I tell which ones? Where do I get the new, right ones from?

3fingersalute

What brand of processor?

emachine 466is,intel,128 mb ram , original video card, windows 98

Boot up into DOS. At the command prompt, go to C: drive
    Type
    dir/a/b/s *.tmp>t.bat Let it finish
    then type
    dir/a/b/s ~*.*>t1.bat Let it finish. Type in
    edit t.bat
    Go to search, replace
    In replace what, find c:
    In replace with, type in deltree/y c:
    Choose replace all. Save and exit. Do the same for t1.bat
    Then, back at dos screen, type
    t then enter,
    then t1, then enter. This will clear up 99% of all blue screens and Illegal Operations.

This is a recommendation given in the That Home Site forums under the topic shutdown problems...please help if possible (March 29,2001).

Not tried this though, but according to the one that give the information, it works. Any comment about this one?
    Yeah right. whatever. duh.

jeffsr

Red face

This may be a heat problem. Check your CPU and heatsink/fan. I have seen this a number of times before..

Cool

hey, I'm brand new here....The reinstall usually works for me on those....oh, why on earth do ya have an E- Machine? not flaming ya, just curious.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger?

I think its for the same reason people have compaqs and hewlett packards.
    "If PacMan had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to electronic music."
    -- iso, /.

iccrmman

Originally posted by jeffsr:
    This may be a heat problem. Check your CPU and heatsink/fan. I have seen this a number of times before..
    I have to agree. I have a e-crap too. I had a similar problem, pulled the heatsink, and there were scorch marks on it. Get a good quality hs/f and some thermal paste(better than what's there now!!).

Angry

I don't care what they say, I so far have not seen a memory test that works reliably. You can run them till you're blue in the face and they will still pass anything but a hard error.HOWEVER I find reliable blue screens to be one of two problems:
    Corrupt .ini files
    Memory.
    Check in that order (order of cost)
    Windows just happens to be the best memory test around, It just doesn't tell you.
    Now another thing. If the memory is bad, after a few days of fighting this you should come up with a registry corrupt message. Windows doesn't really check when backing up the registry to disk on shutdown.It blindly corrupts it then warns you at boot up.
    I know so much less than I did when I was 4!

Originally posted by Computer_Chip:
    I don't care what they say, I so far have not seen a memory test that works reliably. You can run them till you're blue in the face and they will still pass anything but a hard error.HOWEVER I find reliable blue screens to be one of two problems:
    Corrupt .ini files
    Memory.
    Check in that order (order of cost)
    Windows just happens to be the best memory test around, It just doesn't tell you.
    Now another thing. If the memory is bad, after a few days of fighting this you should come up with a registry corrupt message. Windows doesn't really check when backing up the registry to disk on shutdown.It blindly corrupts it then warns you at boot up.
    How would you go about checking for corrupted ini files? I have a similar problem.

yes how would i check corrupt ini files? And I tried this when testing my ram;
    - first i took out the 64 mb chip in slot 2, the comp. worked fine
    - i thought i had problem solved, then i got tech. to put 128 in slot 1. I left nothing in slot 2. Blue screens began appearing again one day

is there any others way I could test the memory??
    Thx 4 all your help people