lost internet explorer 5 disconnect prompt

Thread: lost internet explorer 5 disconnect prompt

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Question lost internet explorer 5 disconnect prompt

one of the joys(?) of ie5 is the fixing of the autodisconnect problems from 4. i never had any problem getting it to work, now i have lost it on my computer.
    win98se
    ie5.01
    i uninstalled adaptec 3.5c and directcd2.5d and installed adaptec ver. 4. when i rebooted it said a windows file had been replaced by an older version(winaspi.dll)and suggested i reinstall windows. i replaced the file with system file checker, and sometime later i noticed i lost my disconnect prompt.
    i reinstalled ie5.01 and outlook express 5. nothing. reinstalled win98se. nothing. reinstalled modem. nothing.
    repeatedy when to ie5-tools-internet options-connections-settings-advanced and checked and unchecked disconnect when connection may no longer be needed, and disconnect after idle for 20 minutes.
    went to modem properties and said disconnect after 20 minutes.
    deleted dial up networking connections. recreated, no luck.
    i do have a network card in the machine(realtek 10/100)
    I used to know where in the registry the disconnect key was, but haven't used it in sooo long i forgot. before i uninstall, and reinstall my network, PLEASE Help!!
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Hi,
    You might this different route...

Go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Configure/Options...make sure that "Display modem Status" is checked. You should then have the modem icon on your taskbar...right click on it to display status and/or disconnect. I know it is not the same as your "Disconnect" dialogue but it should serve your purpose.

Hope this helps you out.
    Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

that autodisconnect option is somewhere in the modems properties....i have had simular problems with this before, and i finaly found the option there. every time i needed to access it for some reason, i have to re-remeber where it is....but look really close in the modem properties.....it is there...trust me.

i would look it up right now, but i have no modem in the pc at work.
    SMACK!!

also have a look at after higlighting explorer icon right click, select proprties/connections/settings/advanced(not the advanced proxy settings) will give some auto disconnect options.
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

tried all this. still will not autodisconnect. really strange. any other ideas?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Cool

Found the solution in the MS knowledge base. it is a known problem with adaptec ezcreator ver.4 and ie5. had to take the ezcreator registry entry out as per MS and autodisconnect is working fine. here is the url for the article. http://support.microsoft.com/support...-US&SD=gn&FR=0

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 08, 2000).]

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet.
    Click the Connections tab, click your Dial-Up Networking connection, and then click Settings.
    Under Dial-up Settings, click Advanced.
    Click the Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed check box to select it.
    Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.

#3 1951-2001

You know this site could be more productive/interesting if some of you would read the thread before you offer solutions for a problem already solved.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."