add/remove ..

Thread: add/remove ..

Question add/remove ..

just a quick question,
    win 98 add/ remove program willn't recorgnise a piece of hardware attached to a usb port.? how so..

I assume you have the install disk for the device or are you trying to plug and play? If you right click on My Computer>Properties>Device Manager you may see a yellow exclamation point in front of the offending device....usually wrong drivers or conflicts with other devices is the culprit.
    Win98 will often times recognize a usb device if you attach it when the machine is running....I've run into problems if it is a scsi\usb cable connection (you have to find drivers for the specific cable)Try unattaching the device, reboot, and plug it in.
    Just a thought or two....

Thumbs up

the way i install usb devices is to install the software first and then reboot with the device plugged in and windowsfinds it and finisshes the install,hope this is of help,
    clauded

Question

thanks,
    will try again as mentioned - still the drivers don't and are not seen in device manager, but the machine tells us everything is ok. hum

Originally posted by clauded:
    the way i install usb devices is to install the software first and then reboot with the device plugged in and windowsfinds it and finisshes the install,hope this is of help,
    clauded
    I'm with clauded. Everytime I've connected the device before the software/drivers were loaded...I've had problems like your having. Try the above mentioned. It should work.
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

is the device in a hub? i've had probs with devices running thru hubs - put them direct & they work fine..

also check the current drain on the usb port; there is a way of seeing the drain for the devices attached (cant remember where i saw it). there is a limit!
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Originally posted by clauded:
    clauded
    Actually, most manufacturers I've dealt with recommend installing drivers, rebooting, and then plugging in the device.

And, a USB hub will often solve a lot of problems (especially with ASUS boards) as long as it has its own external power supply.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

3fingersalute

Agreed with Sowulo, install drivers before ever hooking up a USB device!....and, there should be no need to run Add/Remove Programs or Add/Remove Hardware either.....USB in Plug 'n' Pray!

Lightbulb

many thanks to all,
    will do..