[RESOLVED] saving pictures

Thread: [RESOLVED] saving pictures

Spaz

Question saving pictures

I need to format c:/s soon and my question is this.. I have MANY pictures saved from various websites, I want to know what is the best way to save them all (mostly JPEGS) so I dont lose them when I dump this computer..Do I need to put them all on floppys? I fear that would take awhile... any suggestions? thanks Spaz

3fingersalute

I would just run find files and look for *.jpg and *.jpeg (also .gif and .bmp and any others you may have) when you have them all in the list, select them all, copy and paste into a new folder called images or something. Then, judging by the size of the folder, copy it down to whatever media it takes to fit on....if you don't have a zip or a burner, and they are too big for a floppy, try dumping them to another hard drive

3fingersalute

Also, if you have a high speed connection, maybe you could upload them all to one of those free storage sites!

Lightbulb

If I need to reinstall Windows, I don't actually do a format. I rename the Program Files directory, Windows directory, and win.com to something else. Now I can install Windows from scratch, plus I still have ALL my old stuff so I don't have to worry about what should be backed up. When I'm satisfied that I don't need the old Program Files or Windows directories anymore, I can delete them.

Originally posted by MacGyver:
    If I need to reinstall Windows, I don't actually do a format. I rename the Program Files directory, Windows directory, and win.com to something else. Now I can install Windows from scratch, plus I still have ALL my old stuff so I don't have to worry about what should be backed up. When I'm satisfied that I don't need the old Program Files or Windows directories anymore, I can delete them.

I have done this too. It works great. hopefully if you back your jpg's on a floppy that none of the jpg's are larger then 1.44meg. it that is the case, then one of many ways to split the file is to use winzip and span the file(s) on multiple disks.
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok... they know me here

I use a partitioned drive leave all my install files there install everyting to c:
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

secodary slave drives are great for this...doesnt matter how many times you re-install...there it is, waiting to be accessed
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

alternatively, if they're really good pics and you have high speed internet, you could email them all to me and I'll keep them safe for ya
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!