scsi bios not installed!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: scsi bios not installed!!

Thumbs down scsi bios not installed!!

Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 Server
    I have installed a brand new ultawide scsi hdd which the bios picks up, but a message appears :- SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED!

On bootup with Windows 2000 no logical drive detected!
    Has anyone come across the problem.If so help.
    I have been to Compaq's Website but all i could get was the following:-

Error: SCSI BIOS not installed. Last Updated: 2002-02-18 Solution-id: 260.0.17581128.3067618 Environment: Error message "SCSI BIOS not installed." Deskpro EXM Workstation Proliant MS Windows NT 4 server MS Windows 2000 server SCSI Card AA2940AU Any PCI SCSI controller HP SCSI CD-Burner CD burner is detected Problem Description: Error: SCSI BIOS not installed. Error appears just after POST Solution: This is a normal message during the POST. Cause: This message, which is not an error or alert message, appears because there is no bootable device on the controller. Or there's no bootable medium in the device.

Ehh??? Please any help

[quote]Originally posted by Jim and Ade The UnTechie Blokes:
    Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 Server
    I have installed a brand new ultawide scsi hdd which the bios picks up, but a message appears :- SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED!

Has anyone come across the problem.If so help.
    I have been to Compaq's Website but all i could get was the following:-

Error: SCSI BIOS not installed. Last Updated: 2002-02-18 Solution-id: 260.0.17581128.3067618 Environment: Error message "SCSI BIOS not installed." Deskpro EXM Workstation Proliant MS Windows NT 4 server MS Windows 2000 server SCSI Card AA2940AU Any PCI SCSI controller HP SCSI CD-Burner CD burner is detected Problem Description: Error: SCSI BIOS not installed. Error appears just after POST Solution: This is a normal message during the POST. Cause: This message, which is not an error or alert message, appears because there is no bootable device on the controller. Or there's no bootable medium in the device.

Ehh??? Please any help

My scsi is a little rusty, but i believe that you have to go into the scsi card bios and enable it for boot up. What is going on is that the card is not initializing the bios cause it thinks you don't need it. The bios is only used when you boot from a device on the scsi bus.. hope it helps
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Arrow

Have you been to their website for drivers & downloads for your Proliant server? Looks like there are several SCSI controller drivers available as well as ROMPaq and firmware upgrades.
    You might also try looking at the Setup & Installation Guide. Might have some good info in there...
    Also, Maintenance & Service Guide.
    Good Luck!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Thanks DonJ for ur input but.....

We need a bootable ROMPaq that Compaq doesnt provide.
    Its needs 2 b bootable cos we have no hdd!!!
    We really r strugglin so ny advice would b great :

Thanks DonJ for ur input but.....

Its needs 2 b bootable cos we have no hdd!!!
    We really r strugglin so ny advice would b great :

Have you made it bootable??
    Are you saying that when you boot from the 2000 cd rom it doesn't find a drive? If so, you need to press F6 when the message flashes when booting from the 2k disk and then load the scsi drivers for that card. You do this by having the drivers ready on a floppy diskette for 2k to use. The on screen instructions are quite clear... you just got to hit that f6 at the right time then wait till it asks you what you want to load.

The scsi device will not load the bios until there is a bootable device... you can only make it bootable by either loading an OS or at least using a boot disk to fdisk and format then do sys c:
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

[quote]Originally posted by NooNoo:

The scsi device will not load the bios until there is a bootable device... you can only make it bootable by either loading an OS or at least using a boot disk to fdisk and format then do sys c:

On Adaptec SCSI cards if a HDD is detected and it is configured correctly by the Jumpers the SCSI Bios will load even if the drive does not have a OS or System files on it.

I would check to make sure the HDD jumpers are configured correctly, and that the HDD has a lower ID than any other SCSI device on the chain, especially if the other devices are terminated.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

NooNoo

Im confused. I cant get scsi drivers for a hard disk can I? If so where would they be installed?

Really silly question....
    How do you create a bootable w 2000 disk?

Really silly question....
    How do you create a bootable w 2000 disk?

The Win2K CD is bootable or (from memory here) you should be able to make the 4 boot disks by running the MAKEBOOT command off of the 2K CD.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

NooNoo

I dont wanna make setup disks. All i want is 2 b able 2 boot & run a rompaq update. The rompaq update will then install the scsi bios, which will then detect the hdd so it can then install w2k. Surely im not the only spud 2 av this prob!!!!!
    Is it cos theres no good support in britain???
    Im nearly getting frustrated

Grab a Win98 Bootdisk from HERE . You will have to put the ROMPaq update on to another floppy/CD (depending on size) if the drive is formatted as NTFS.

Also try reading This to make sure that your card is configured correctly. Also goto the HDD manufacturers site and make sure that the jumpers are correctly set to the SCSI ID and that the termaination is set on the right device.

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:

On Adaptec SCSI cards if a HDD is detected and it is configured correctly by the Jumpers the SCSI Bios will load even if the drive does not have a OS or System files on it.

I would check to make sure the HDD jumpers are configured correctly, and that the HDD has a lower ID than any other SCSI device on the chain, especially if the other devices are terminated.

Thanks Darren for that, my scsi experience is not quite non-existent, but close...

One thing occured to me, that JIM et al has not disclosed any info about this adapter... other than it is new.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

[quote]Originally posted by NooNoo:

One thing occured to me, that JIM et al has not disclosed any info about this adapter... other than it is new.

The original post does state that it is a 'SCSI Card AA2940AU'.

Really we need to know the exact hard disk that they are using as well as any other SCSI devices that are on the adaptor as well (including configuration details (including termination of devices), placement on cable & SCSI ID's for each device)

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:

The original post does state that it is a 'SCSI Card AA2940AU'.

Heh going blind too!

Thanks 4 all ur help evry1!!!

Am now talkin 2 compaq bloke. Thinks it is rompaq. Gonna get a bootable ver 4 me....
    watch this space

Would u believe it!!!!!!!!!!!
    Spoke 2 another Compaq bird & ..... FAULTY SCSI CABLE!!!!!!!
    Swapped with cable connected 2 hotdives.... works fine!!!!
    [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]