98SE Hangs @ splash screen?

Thread: 98SE Hangs @ splash screen?

Question 98SE Hangs @ splash screen?

Ok, this one is bugging me... see if anyone has any advice.

Computer at work, AMD 200MHZ, hangs on windows 98SE splash screen. Boots fine into safe mode. I narrowed it down to the CD-ROM drive. If it's plugged in, hangs, if you disconnect it, it's fine. Problem is, you can't put any other cd-roms on it either, hangs the system. Tried a new cable, and played with bios settings. Any Ideas?

BTW - This is a fresh format and install of windows. The original cd-rom works fine, get's all the way through the install, but when you shut it down for the first time, then it starts.

Thanks

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

AMD 200????????

Dma enabled on the cd?

I'd be tempted to check the controller driver that's running the IDE channel that the CDROM drive is connected to, remove the controller and reboot (it'll ask you too anyway)

worth a try, you could also try moving the CDROM to another IDE port on the mptherboard.

CD works fine until windows is installed?

Must be a software setting in Bios or CDROM properties in device manager. Check DMA.

Is the CDROM on a IDE cable by itself or sharing with a HD?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Tech41

I must agree with the others sounds like DMA but there my be another option. If the CD is on the secondary IDE controler try changing the jumpers to slave and plug into middle connector on the data cable, if it's already set to slave then change to master and connect to last connecter on data cable, if this does not work, setup CD as a slave on the primary IDE controler. IF these options don't help I would look to the controler drivers, are all the drivers and patches installed for the motherboard chipset, BIOS etc..
    Bye the way what is the make and model and spcifications of the PC that info would help greatly to trouble shoot the issue.