Corrupt Icons?

Thread: Corrupt Icons?

Corrupt Icons?

Hello...had a problem fixed by you guys once before, so am hoping you can give me some advice...

I've just purchased a digital camera (HP photosmart 215) and was installing the software for it. For no known reason, the computer went haywire, then shut down. After restarting i tried once again to install the software, but now i can't open the icons for System, Add New Hardware, or Add Camera or Scanner. I am using Windows ME, and have tried system restore, but it won't let me use this either.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try rebuilding the icon cache - you can do this in one of several ways:

Start in Safe Mode, then reboot and start normally.
    or
    Delete c:\windows\shelliconcache - then reboot.
    or
    Use the TweakUI repair feature 'Rebuild Icons' (EASIEST, and safest option)

Corrupt Icons?

Hello TechZ

Thanks very much for your response. I tried the first two options without any luck. Tried downloading TweakUI, but it just refuses to open. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Regards, Lynda

http://www.download.com/Tweak-UI/300...4-2830963.html

here is another link for TweakUI, try it.

Hello TechZ...thanks again for your response. It is now 2 am so i'm giving up and going to get some sleep. I have tried and tried to install Tweak, but i just keep getting the message that it's not a valid archive file. If i'm doing something wrong, i don't know what it is. I'll have a look in the morning, to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks again, Lynda.

Corrup Icons?

Hello...am still trying to install Tweak, have followed all the instructions about right clicking on the inf file to install, but am now getting this message: "The file setupx.dll or one of its components could not be opened." Anyone have any suggestions please?

You might try booting into Safe Mode, go into MSCONFIG and clear the checks by anything having anything to do with HP. Read here: Using MSConfig to Disable Startup Group Items in Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP
    This document covers information about disabling excess programs in the Startup group in Microsoft Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP. Disabling the Startup group is a basic troubleshooting step that can be used to correct multiple issues, including issues that result from a lack of free random-access memory (RAM), as well as issues involving third-party programs.
    You will probably want to read up on HP Photosmart Digital Cameras - Troubleshooting USB Installation and Communication Issues Lots of good basic info there.

Also, your "Quick Succes Poster" and User's Guide are available for download.

Let us know how it ends up...Good Luck!

Corrupt Icons?

Hello DonJ Thanks for your response. I tried your first suggestion, but had no luck. I read the info on troubleshooting USB installation, but i can't try any of it, because when i right click on my computer, properties, nothing happens...which means i can't investigate device manager or anything else. Seems this icon is not working either Thanks for your reply...would appreciate any other suggestions please.

Addition to post: it is now a few days later, and the system icon and add new hardware icon have disappeared completely, and when i try to download windows updates, i get this message: W95INF32.DLL
    Thunk Connect 32 Failure. Has anyone got any suggestions please?
    Last edited by LyndaJane; April 16th, 2005 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Tweak UI

From what I understand Tweak UI is already included with windows all you have to do is go to run and type in tweakUI I am not sure if you have to put the c: or if that is the exact command but I have tried it and it does start the program. I don't know if this will fix the thunk 32 failure or not I have tried it and it doesn't seem to work but tweak UI is good for other things also.

Hello winver, welcome to WinDrivers and thank you for offering some ideas. However the topic was abandoned by the participants three years ago.