Dual Boot Win98/XP

Thread: Dual Boot Win98/XP

Dual Boot Win98/XP

Hi everyone.

I am currently running 98se on my (C) drive. I would like to try XP on this machine and I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

I know that XP can be installed on one of my other partitions, and this is my plan thus far. I understand that after installing XP on my other partition a boot.ini file is created by XP. I only want to test out how XP will work with this machine and I may want to reformat that partition to reuse it for storage. So here goes:

I have been reading that if something goes wrong with the boot.ini file I will not be able to boot either os. If I choose to delete XP and return to my current setup of just booting (as normal) 98se, is there anything I should do as a precaution if anything goes wrong?

Another inquiry I have is that if I do get XP running, are any programs I install on the XP partition going to be creating any registry entries in the (C) drive registry?

I want to move very cautiously with this as my pc runs absolutely perfect in its current configuration, so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible beforehand should anything go wrong, as I'm not very proficient with pc's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dual Boot Win98/XP

Hi everyone.

I am currently running 98se on my (C) drive. I would like to try XP on this machine and I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

I know that XP can be installed on one of my other partitions, and this is my plan thus far. I understand that after installing XP on my other partition a boot.ini file is created by XP. I only want to test out how XP will work with this machine and I may want to reformat that partition to reuse it for storage. So here goes:

I have been reading that if something goes wrong with the boot.ini file I will not be able to boot either os. If I choose to delete XP and return to my current setup of just booting (as normal) 98se, is there anything I should do as a precaution if anything goes wrong?

Another inquiry I have is that if I do get XP running, are any programs I install on the XP partition going to be creating any registry entries in the (C) drive registry?

I want to move very cautiously with this as my pc runs absolutely perfect in its current configuration, so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible beforehand should anything go wrong, as I'm not very proficient with pc's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to Windrivers Wizard*

Have you considered just running the xp compatibility wizard? If you run the xp cd in 98, one of the options is the upgrade advisor. or you can download it here

No, XP will not change anything in the 98 partition.

Correcting the boot files is not a big problem. You just need to use fdisk /mbr and remove the boot ini file.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

one thing you should keep in mind when installing XP is what file system to use. Win98 does not have the ability to read NTFS file system (the one XP likes to use) So for the best compatibility, install XP to a FAT32 partition.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Many thanks for your replies.

If you need anything else, post again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have Win98se installed on drive C: and XP profesional installed od drive D: which works perfect.
    However I need drivers for Win98se to make it work. Where can I get them?
    Thanks.

Drivers for what?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.