MS-6380 DDR and AGP pro
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MS-6380 DDR and AGP pro

Post MS-6380 DDR and AGP pro

Long time with no visit on these forums for me
    I think this is the right model number for the board I have, if not close enough
    Problem is that it is currently running with a Creative Banshee Blaster 16MB vid card (old APG model) but when I try to use a newer AGP Pro card (GeForce256 and GeForce 2 MX) it doesn't boot at all. But as soon as I put the Banshee back it works fine? I've looked at MSI's site but they don't mention this oddity, I would've thought that it would of had a problem with the Banshee being so old, not the GeForces.

I can't remember how many beeps there where when I booted with a GeForce card, I think it was about 8 fast.
    ...I don't get it...

[quote]Originally posted by mahdi:
    Long time with no visit on these forums for me
    I think this is the right model number for the board I have, if not close enough
    Problem is that it is currently running with a Creative Banshee Blaster 16MB vid card (old APG model) but when I try to use a newer AGP Pro card (GeForce256 and GeForce 2 MX) it doesn't boot at all. But as soon as I put the Banshee back it works fine? I've looked at MSI's site but they don't mention this oddity, I would've thought that it would of had a problem with the Banshee being so old, not the GeForces.

I can't remember how many beeps there where when I booted with a GeForce card, I think it was about 8 fast.

AGP Pro cards will not work in regular AGP slots and will cause damage to the motherboard or the video card itself.

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=60
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

I've updated the BIOS to the latest and reset it to every default option it could. I don't think I tried moving the AGP to 2x. I thought the GeForce256 and 2 MX were 'old AGP pro', not the newer form factor...not even sure if they are considered 'pro', they do have that extra tab but that's all it is...an extra tab to fit in the newer AGP boards.

And the mainboard is an AGP pro board, if it can run the Banshee there is NO reason that it should not run a GeForce...the mainboard is less then a year old and the same vid cards in question run fine on my 2 year old Asus systems...
    ...I don't get it...

I had a similar experience last week with an epox board and on a lark decided to swap out the Power Supply with a new 300w one and it worked......
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

This is with an Enermax 350w powersupply, I don't think I can get a better one then that

At least, have no need to...
    ...I don't get it...

The Pro in the K7T266 Pro or Pro2 motherboard does NOT denote AGP Pro Compliance.

From the MSI page regarding the original MS-6380:

Ą° Note : AGP Pro only for K7T266 Pro-R
    http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6380

If you have the standard Pro motherboard, it DOES NOT support AGP Pro.

The way you can tell if it does support the pro is by a small yellow sticker blocking off part of your AGP Slot:

refer to this site for a picture of an AGP Pro slot:

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=60

Neither of the current Pro2 boards, Pro2, Pro2-U, Pro2-R, Pro2-RU, have AGP Pro complaince..the R in the R and RU designate RAID support.

I would check your box to make sure you have the Pro-R, the original K7T266 (MS-6380). This board does support AGP Pro.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

I agree, the enermax should do. I've got 2 last ideas, One, try using a pci to vid card boot the comp with the agp card still in it. then go into windows and enable it as a second monior and see if it works. or 2, Clear the cmos at the jumper with the geforce card in it the replace and reboot. After that. I gave up........ Sorry..

That's exactly what the port looks like, the "registration key" is that tab I was talking about...Banshee doesn't have this, so when it's in that spot is empty. The box is sitting next to my desk at home, but I know for sure it is not a pro-R...and I know the Pro does not refer to the AGP slot, the manual does refer to it as an AGP-Pro 4x slot though...and to remove the tab when using an AGP-pro card in the back port(which I did ) It looks just like the picture...

http://www.evga.com/articles/images/60-e.jpg

PCI vid card? Hey! I think I might have an old Diamond Stealth laying around...or did I give that away to a friend last year?
    ...I don't get it...

I just got three AGP Geforce 256 and few Geforce 2MX videocards (yes,with that "key"),what I have been told, "not working at all".
    Checked them all in different BX motherboards laying around (PCPartner,ASUS P2B-F),and all videocards are working perfectly!
    May be, voltage regulator for AGP port isn't powerful enough in that particular MSI motherboard...

Believe it or not, i have an old trident ISA card on hand for diagnostic purposes, havent pulled it out in 2 yrs, but i know it's there......I read they can come in handy during botched bios flashes.......Anyway what made me suggest the first iten (w PCI card) was i did just that as a last resort with a Diamond speedstar a70 that I thought was dead. I 'Jump started" it just like I told you and to this day it's still going.........

Unhappy

Double checked the manual, it is a K7T266 Pro (MS-6380)...AGP not Pro
    So it looks like this thing will never be able to run a GeForce...I'll have to get a new board for it
    ...I don't get it...

Double checked the manual, it is a K7T266 Pro (MS-6380)...AGP not Pro
    So it looks like this thing will never be able to run a GeForce...I'll have to get a new board for it

Not true. There are many different nvidia based cards...just look for one that is NOT AGP Pro..as not all nVidia Gforce cards are AGP Pro...
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Agree with Lycia - most likely it's just only incompatibility issue with that particular videocard.
    So far as I remember,some of MSI motherboards were having compatibility issues with some of videocards,and were BIOSes released,what fixed it. Check it out.

I've updated it to the latest BIOS with no luck, and I've tried the GeForce cards with it. That leaves me with the options of leaving it as-is, getting a new video card or get a new MB...

I'm not looking at the last 2 options, so for now it will have to be. Thanks for the help!
    ...I don't get it...

I've updated it to the latest BIOS with no luck, and I've tried the GeForce cards with it. That leaves me with the options of leaving it as-is, getting a new video card or get a new MB...

I'm not looking at the last 2 options, so for now it will have to be. Thanks for the help!

Could you possibly take just your mobo, cpu, and ram to a store, like a mom and pop shop, and ask to try a vid card in your system before you buy?
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)