How do I Change an L3 Cache Back Into An L2 cache?

Thread: How do I Change an L3 Cache Back Into An L2 cache?

Post How do I Change an L3 Cache Back Into An L2 cache?

Hi Everyone,

I did something stupid. I have a Tekram P5M3-A+ motherboard, (Super 7 - VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset). I came with an AMD K6/2 500 processor. Everything went fine until I got greedy and decided to boost its speed by subsituting a its current processor for an AMD K6/3 450. I reset the jumpers and everything went fine for awhile until it started crashing. I went back and reinstalled the old one, resetting all the jumpers of course.

When I did this it still crashed until I disabled the external cache in the motherboard. Before all this happened it was enabled by default. When I did this it worked fine. Then it worked fine. The problem is now I get all these memory and blue screen errors. I contacted VIA about this. All they said was that the L2 cache became an L3 cache when I did this. They suggested I upgrade the bios. I did this and still the same result.

I also contacted Microsoft about this when I spoke to them about another matter. They told me to disable the motherboard antivirus, com-port 2, and bios-video shadowing. Leave it off for 20 minutes and try it. I did this and it worked fine for awhile, but after awhile it get crashes again.

Is there anything I can do to get this 'L3" cache back to it original "L2" cache form? - other than buying a new motherboard.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Ok, warning, I'm just 'supposing' here, but what may have happened is the K6-3 required too much power for your mainboard to handle, and you might have damaged it.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Okay, let's clear up some things.

There's no physical change from L2 to L3 - when you installed the AMD K6-3 and set the jumpers your L2 cache worked as a third level cache. When you reverted to L2 it shouldn't have given you any problems.

As far as getting the AMD k6-3 to work - yoiu said that you've updated your BIOS after you returned to the AMD K6-2, you might have needed that BIOS update so that the AMD K6-3 would work properly.

As for the AMD k6-2 I woudl try this - take the CMOS battery out overnight that would completely clear any BIOS settings (make sure computer isn't plugged to the AC outlet) double check all your BIOS jumper settings..
    then reconfigure.

If your L2 cache was somehow damaged (wrong FSB setting, wrong I/O voltage) your best bet will be to return to the AMD K6-3 and disable the external cache.
    your other option is to get another mobo.

One more thing, when uyou say it crashed you're talking about windows... what version of windows are you running ?

did you try a format and a complete reinstall of the O/S ?

Have you checked your RAM ? Use a utility like docmem (http://www.simmtester.com) to check your memory.

among the bios settings you should check are:

Delayed transactions = enabled
    Video BIOS Cacheable = Disabled
    Video RAM Cacheable = Disabled
    System BIOS Cacheable = Disabled
    Memory hole (15-16 Mb) = Disabled
    RAM timing = by SPD or Auto
    CAS = 3

please also include a complete system specs and if you can the errors in the blue screens you get.

Hi Condor,

To answer your questions:

1. No I haven’t tried a reformat/reinstall of my operating system yet. Nor have I tried removing my CMOS battery yet. Should I try this first?

2. Should I try resetting the 7 settings you list at the bottom of your response if taking out the battery doesn’t work? Or should I reset them in addition to taking out the cmos battery?

I am running Microsoft Windows 98SE. My system specs are as follows:
    WIN98SE
    128MB RAM
    AMD K6/2 Processor
    BIOS: Award Version 1.6410/11/99
    Display =Sis 6326
    Multimedia: Creative Soundblaster PCI 128
    CDROM =4x
    Modem =ISA Winmodem
    Netcard=Dialup Adapter (AOL), WAN Miniport (ATW)Microsoft VPN
    Nettrans
    Monitor=IBM 6547
    Keyboard=Standard Microsoft Natural Keyboard & PS/2 Mouse
    Devices: USB VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, USB Root Hub

Thanks very much,
    Peter
    Bouncy Bouncy

Okay - here's a little game plan:

1. take the battery out for the night.

2. reconfigure the BIOS and apply the settings I gave you.

3. check your memory with Docmem (with the external case enabled / disabled)

if everything is okay so far you can move on to the next stages:

4. check your computer for a virus.

5. remove all "extra" hardwrae in your system (sound card, Modem etc..) leaving only CPU, FAN, RAM, Disaply card & monitor, HDD a keyboard and mouse..

if it's not Blue screening then return parts one by one...

if it does BSOD - try formatting and reinstalling Windows 98 again (with the parts still disconnect - but do connect the CD-ROM and floppy ) making sure you install the VIA 4in 1 4.38 patch

if it works - great, return the parts and install drivers one by one..

if it doesn't (*and your memory checked out fine) your board might have been damaged..

Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks again Condor,

I'll try it and let you know how it goes,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Arrow

Hi Condor,

Here’s a progress report
    I took out the battery out for the night and put it back in the morning. I adjusted the bios to the settings you gave me. With External Cache enabled everything worked fine until I had to restart my computer then it jammed up again during sign on at the Win98SE logo.
    I substituted the AMD K6/2 for the amd k6/3, resetting the jumpers of course, and with the external cache off and it worked fine for a few seconds and then crashed. I then reverted back to the K6/2
    VIA 4-in-1 driver has already been installed.
    I downloaded the Norton AV trial version. I had been using Command AV. I will boot-scan tonight for viruses and let you know what comes up.
    I will reformat only as a last resort. I’ve been reformatting so much of that lately that I feel like it might be preferable to live with my problem.
    As I said I will keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Orangeman

PS. I don't know if this makes any difference but my modem is set for com port 3. In my bios IRQ 3 is reserved for my modem. However com port three is not listed in my list of ports in the Device Manager. Could my problem be related to IRQ's

Thanks again,
    Orangeman

Bouncy Bouncy

What about the memory test ?

did you check the memory with DOCmem ?

this might be a simple case of memory gone bad ...

Talking

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I'm afraid the answer to the problem was a little bit more prosaic. It has nothing to do with disabling/enabling functions from the bios, nor uninstalling/reinstalling video and audio cards, or reformatting my HD (thank God)

IT had to do with getting a new fan!!! I took it down to a tech and he opened it up. Sure enough, the fan wasn't working. The motherboard was overheating and the external cache was closing down.

Thanks Condor for all your help

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

I'm glad you solved your problem - only question I have now it :

In all this time you didn't check your CPU cooler ? didn't open your case to check ?

Even so it's a good thing that you took the PC to a tech before giving up.

Many people are "too proud" to admit somethings are more than they can handle but my advise is if you're not sure - take it to a tech.

like I wrote at the begining of my first post - it's highly unlikely that you damaged the cache on the mobo but I feel kindss stupid not asking about a proper CPU cooler - I assumed that was something you'd be able to see for yourself and when you got the K6-3 you got a good cooler for it... my bad - should have asked you.

anyway congrads on the working system and for not giving up.