[RESOLVED] Hard Dissk problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hard Dissk problem

pjvasquez

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hard Dissk problem

I recently bought a new hard drive (an IDE 10Gb Maxtor )and a new CD-ROM unit (IDE 48x)
    to use them with my PC (pentium 233Mhz MMX ,32 Mb RAM Windows 98 OS). After I installed both devices every time I boot the machine, a clasic error message appears on the screen telling me that I shoud use the start buttom and chose "turn off the computer" to turn off the PC properly, and then it begins to scan the disk ? What 's wrong?

How are you booting your machine? Unless your computer is locked up! You should never use the power on and off, or the reset button on the computer. As the message states go to the start and use the SHUT DOWN, to properly turn the machine off.
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

Russell.Bic

If you are shuting down properly and scandisk isnt reporting any problems. Go to start --> Run --> Accesories --> System Tools and run System Information. Go to tools and system configuration utitlity. Click advanced and check the disable scandisk after bad shutdown box. This will prevent the message fom appearing. Only do this if you are getting no errors reported by scandisk and are shuting down using the shutdown dialog on the start menu.

Wink

I always let the machine boot up and leave it sit for about 10 minutes, to ensure that it is done with all of it's bootup chores. Then I run Scandisk from Windows and choose the "Thorough" option. From then on, Shutdown the computer using the Start menu.
    A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for...