PIII 750 operating temperature
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PIII 750 operating temperature

Post PIII 750 operating temperature

What is the normal operating temperature for a PIII 750? Mine is varying (depending on load) between 57 and almost 70C. That seems a bit high in my opinion.

this is too high.

Pentium IIIs are suppose to operate under 40C.

70C can cause Damage to your CPU !!

1. check your CPU fan.
    2. make sure your Voltage settings are correct..
    3. Get a good CPU cooler
    http://www.globalwin.com.tw

Hope it helps

That's what I thought too. My Celeron never ran that hot. It either runs that hot or the MB detects it wrong. It runs at around 46C when idle. If I start anything that uses the CPU (like a browser, or play a game) it goes all the way up to 70-75 in a matter of seconds (3-5 seconds). Then it just hovers there till it stops. I checked the CPU fan, it's working fine. I even removed the head sink and put more thermal paste in there. It made no difference. The only other thing I noticed is the clip holding the head sink to the CPU (Slot 1) is not very tight. It's pretty easy to move the heat sink around. Is that normal? I've never used a Slot 1 CPU (other than Athlon, which is extra tight). The funny thing is that the computer does not became unstable or behaves any differently even at the high reported temperature. I appreciate any suggestins.

Definitely way too high. I have a PIII700 clocked to 933 and that barely hits 39 degrees C at full load.

The heatsink fan should not be 'that' loose. It could be that the heatsink is moving off centre on the cpu core reducing cooling potential. I would go with Condor's suggestion of getting a new cooler.

However for the moment:
    Is the fan on your CPU blowing air down onto the heatsink? If not its on the wrong way round, the fan should be drawing cool air down across the heatsink.

Do you have any case fans installed? Have they stopped working. If you don't have any may I suggest you purchase a couple (one for the front of the case to draw cool air in, one for the rear to extract the hot air.) Most decent cases by default have mounting points for this type of fan.
    What do you mean its all my fault?...

70C is too much! I would check the cooling kit ASAP!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Both fans on the heat sink are running fine. There is no fan in the case, although the temperature in there only reaches around 40C. Which is really interesting, because even if I take both covers off, it still has the same temperature. And there is no way it's 40C in my room. I will get a new cooler today and see if it makes a diffence. I am using thermal paste too, it's white. It's the first time I had to use it, all of the headsinks before had thermal pad. I will let you know if the new fan makes any difference.

all right. I've replaced the fan and heat sink. This one was really tight, and it helped. Somewhat. Now it will not go over 60 at full load, at idle it hovers around 44C. This is much better, although I am really suspecting the real temperature is lower then it is listed. At least the case temperature. It's 43C. That is too hot in my opinion. I will put in the case fan tomorow and see if that helps.

What software are you using to view the temps?

when you installed the CPU coolerdid you use Thermal Paste ?

you should it can help a lot..

also make sure that the Air flow is not restricted by any IDE cables or power connectors..

I used the paste. I used almost the whole tube that came with the head sink. The second heat sink/fan works much better. It lowered the temperature by almost 20C. It's still a bit hot, but I have a feeling the temperature showed by the MB is kind of off. Even when it was running hot before the system did not became unstable as it should have. Either way, I will start the case fan today and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Run a third party program such as Mbprobe to view the motherboard temps. What does is show then? (by the way what motherboard are you running, you've never mentioned.)

Also don't forget that too much thermal paste can have an insulating effect, all that is required is a thin layer to ensure good contact between heatsink and cpu core. PS: Good luck with the case fan and as Condor said ensure that the air flow is not blocked by IDE cables etc.

Do you have any links to somewhere we could get a 3rd party program for viewing the temp? One that's free preferably as my cash flow is a bit on the shy side.

yes.. I failed to mention the motherboard. It's an MSI-6182 slot 1. Just to verify the accuracy of the temperature I will take the CPU and put it in my IWill VD133 MB. Regarding the thermal paste, I think that when the spring clip is inserted any excess will be squeezed out. I"m using the program that came with the MB to monitor the temperature. I dont' know if that will work with another MB, but I'm willing to send it to however wants it. The BIOS measurements are similar to what the utility is reporting, although I'm positive the utility if getting the measurements from the BIOS. What I am suspecting is that the BIOS reports the temperature incorrectly. The case temperature is reported as 45C. If I remove the cover its still 40C. There is no way the ambient temperature in my room is 40C.

Trinitro/Quiet Thunder...
    One Mbprobe software download link coming right up: http://web.bham.ac.uk/jst829/mbprobe/download.html

I currently use this with an Abit SA6R and PIII700@933, currently shows a lovely 38 degreesC (I'm running United Devices whilst browsing).

Trinitro: I'd be interested to see what your other motherboard reads the temp at, let us know. As for the thermal paste, you don't really want a mass of it collecting around the contact point as it will still insulate. Good luck. By the way did you fit the case fan? Did it make a difference?

I tested it on my IWill MB. It runs a bit cooler. Maybe 3-4C cooler. In my MS-6182 MB it runs about 40C at idle, or with IE running. I've noticed that IE really don't put any load on the CPU. It's mainly hard disk activity (starting programs) and games that raise the temperature to about 50C right now. It sometimes goes above that for very short periods (2-3 seconds), but I let Quake play and 4 IE windows, and the temp is around 48C. With the CPU at around 90% utilization. Still didn't get to getting the case fan run yet. I did notice that if I close the case the inside temperature goes up to 45C, which may explain why the CPU runs so hot.
    I'll post again after I get the case fan running. Which will be today sometimes.