[RESOLVED] W98 boot and freeze

Thread: [RESOLVED] W98 boot and freeze

ImADummy

Exclamation W98 boot and freeze

On first boot of day the system always fails with an OD/OE error and I have to try again. The second boot always works.

During the day, at random times, the system will freeze. I have to power off at the wll to reboot. Somedays I can use the computer for hours before a freeze, somedays 20 mins.

Have W98, P3, 128M, 1 HDE 8 gig drive. SBLive, Nvida 16 meg video card, V550 video card. Problems seem to have begun after I got a message that the CMOS settings for my PC type were incorrect. I fixed them per my mother board book. Have had the system for 2 years with no trble until the last month or so.

jeffsr

Check your memory sticks. Make sure they are correctly and firmly seated. This is the most common cause for this error. The other common cause is excessive heat.

------------------
    Jeff Lawrence

sly69

I Had two mobo do the same thing, I ended up replacing both, after trying everything any one could come up with... JAT

KWB Teck

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ImADummy:
    <Snip>
    Problems seem to have begun after I got a message that the CMOS settings for my PC type were incorrect. I fixed them per my mother board book. Have had the system for 2 years with no trble until the last month or so.
    </font>
    Double check your CMOS settings to ensure you have the correct "Dram CAS Latency" & "Dram data Integrity Mode" settings in place.

jimmr13

Cool

Just a wild guess but soundes like a memory leak how old is the RAM, Have you checked it out? Some RAM dies after a few years, Some developes a leak.
    Hope that helps!

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !