installing networking in 98 machine

Thread: installing networking in 98 machine

Cool installing networking in 98 machine

I am trying to install networking in a W98 machine. I have installed the NIC card drivers and that seems to be ok. I cut & pasted the .vxd files it said it needed in the windows/system directory. No longer get the error message that the .vxd files are missing. Says it can't find msnp32.dll although I put it in the windows/system directory. The registry just says "default" in the network folder. Is there some executable to start from the command prompt?

You should never have to cut and paste any files to the system directory. Especially virtual device driver files (VXDs) From what I could gather from your post, your NIC drivers are NOT installed corectly, for if they were, you would not have to paste anything as Windows would detect networking enabled and install needed files by them self. Get the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site, go to device manager and remove the network card. Windows should propt you to reboot. When you do, windows should detect the card, point to where the .inf file is for your card, follow the prompts. During this time, windows should add files from it's own cabs, then prompt you to reboot again. When you do, you should have an icon on your desktop called Network neighborhood.
    I see dumb people, they are everywhere, They walk around like everyone else and they dont even know they are dumb.