[RESOLVED] upgrading to 98

Thread: [RESOLVED] upgrading to 98

maxcat

Resolved [RESOLVED] upgrading to 98

I will be upgrading from Win95 to 98 anything to watch out for ? I have a 166mmx 32meg ram, with s3 virge video card 4meg , Voodoo 2 1000 pci card. diamond supra 56k modem. sound and network cards, hard drive with 4.3 megs. I am doing this upgrade so I can have internet sharing and also for USB suport. Any hints or tips or traps will be appreciated

DGraham2000

Might want to make sure that you have all available drivers for Win98 downloaded and ready to go, in case the upgrade doesn't have them.

MacGyver

Exclamation

Install Windows 98 from scratch instead of installing over your existing copy of 95. Rename your existing Windows directory to something different in DOS using the MOVE command (Like MOVE WINDOWS WINOLD) just before you upgrade. Same deal with Program Files (MOVE PROGRA~1 OLDPROGS) Then you can retreive stuff from there after you've got 98 running, and delete the old directories once you're satisfied you don't need them anymore.

It will more of a pain in the short term since you'll have to redo all your software installs and settings, but it will run better without the old 95 crap hanging around.

Make sure you have a reliable boot disk that can load your CD-ROM drivers in DOS, just in case.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

Cable Modem Tech

as mentioned above, start with a clean install and get all drivers downloaded that you do not have here from windrivers.... also i would highly suggest some extra memory...if you are using the 168 pin type
    there are some great deals out there look at www.buy.com they have 64 meg for like 34.00
    if you have the older 72 pin stuff you can get it from www.connectcomp.com for like 19.00 for 16 meg.... 2 of them will get you up to 64..... good luck

------------------
    They get mad when they come to raid my pad and i'm out in the nine duece cad.

speedstr

I have yet to see any problems from an upgrade from win95 to win98. I wouldn't worry too much about starting over clean. You shouldn't need to worry about getting drivers either. If Win95 has everything setup correctly then win98 will setup correctly without needing to download new drivers. What you need to be concerned about is wether your system is running properly BEFORE you upgrade. Clean out junk files. Scan and defrag your hard drive, run antivirus etc... if all looks ok....have at it and enjoy Windows98.