error reading drive c:

Thread: error reading drive c:

Question error reading drive c:

I have a asus k7v-rm board with 550 athlon, and a 15gb maxtor hdd. when i tried to start windows98 i get to the windows logo screen and then it goes back to dos and says error reading drive c: abort, retry, fail?
    this is the second time it has happened in the last 2 months. the first time i deleted win.com and reinstalled windows98. why is it doing this and what can i do to fix it without reinstalling windows?
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

willys

Have you looked in your bios? What are you booting from? Its somewhere in the chipset features according to your bios. I think your c: is your floppy because it is giving you a retry abort fail message. Try booting from hdd0 or ide0 in your bios.

Hi,
    You're HD sounds like it could be going bad...especially twice in two months. You might try booting from your Win98 CD-ROM and running ScanDisk against drive C. If that flags errors and corrects them, then try "Sys C:/"
    Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Your Floppy will never be C: , floppies are reserved as A: and B:.

It sounds to me like your drive is going bad , or you've got some program walking over the bios (if you cached the bios).

one other thing that i have seen cause this problem. a cheap 40x CDrom , in a cheap case that actually vibrated so bad when you put a disk in , it would corrupt the data on the drive.

------------------
    Life is good...sometimes...
    Life is good...sometimes...

hey man. I hate to recommend this to you but you might want to low level format that sucker and then re-install the os. You might have some kind of corruption on your HDD. It might not nec. mean that the drive is bad, It may mean that either the windows system files or registry files are corrupted.

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!

I agree with ledrichard. although your drive may be going bad, you still want to try recovering this one first. Do you have a backup?