Internet Explorer 5.0 and Win 98 SE

Thread: Internet Explorer 5.0 and Win 98 SE

Angry Internet Explorer 5.0 and Win 98 SE

I have been having problems with my Internet Explorer 5.0. I cannot open it by clicking on any of the icons. The only way I can get it to open is by right clicking on the icon and select open. Once open it finds my home page ok, but as soon as I point it to another web site the program crashes. I can open any other program by clicking on the icon.

The computer is set up as a dual boot machine (WIN 2000 Pro, Win 98 Sec Ed). I use the WIN 2K for surfing, and MS Office XP. I use Win 98 for games and video capture. Because of how I use Win 98 I didn’t install a lot of the optional programs to free up resources. The machine was a PIII 800 with 256 RAM and was later upgraded to a P4 1.4 GHz. I connect to the internet through DSL so I use a NIC. Both computers have had the same problem and I have run fdisk.exe and started over installing the OS after the upgrade. Actually it’s not even the same HDD anymore.

Internet Explorer works fine in Win 98 until I add the second OS and there are no problems with any application in WIN 2K. It’s not a real big problem since I can download anything from Win 2K and then reboot and install it in Win 98. It just is a pain to reboot all the time and I shouldn’t have to. Do I need to change the path for the shortcut and use the one for Win 2K? Or does the original (Win 98) Internet Explorer get overwritten by Win 2k and will not work with Win 98. Do I need to do something special to Win 98 before installing Win 2K? (i.e. rename Program Files to Program Files 98)

Does anyone have any ideas???????

Thanks for any help that you can provide...

Sennister

I would start by reinstalling Explorer or Upgrading to 5.5 or 6.0.
    Have you tried that?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I was going to try that tonight. I think I will try an install it to another folder as to avoid messing up the I.E. in WIN 2K. I'll post a mesage and let you know how it goes.

Talking

Well I think I have it solved. I attempted to install IE 5 from my Office 2000 Pro cd but it said that I had a newer version already installed. So, I had to download Netscape (Yuck) while in Win 2K and install that so I could download IE 5.5 SP2 in WIN 98SE. I then installed it to a different folder just to be safe. Well in the end here I am writing this message from Win 98 SE on IE 5.5 and all is good

Thanks again.

Talking

With your daul boot set up are you running two or more partitions on your drive
    I have a dual boot setup , Win 98 on my C: and Windows XP on my D:
    I have had no problems with IE , IF your installing both OS's on your C: drive then that could be your problem
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Using two or more partitions would be needed more so when using two 9x OSs. Since my setup was 98 SE and 2000 pro I placed everything ont he one partition. IE's defalt install dir was Program Files in both 98SE and 2000 pro. Because of this when I upgraded my IE in 2000 pro to 5.5 sp2 it overwrote the old IE 5 files that 98SE shared with 2000 and 98 was no longer able to use IE. To solve this I just installed IE to a different dir ("Program Files 98"). Now they are separate and both function properly.