ECS k7s5a network and drive problem

Thread: ECS k7s5a network and drive problem

Post ECS k7s5a network and drive problem

My little brother thought it was time to get a new system, so I recomended a K7S5A mainboard and athlon xp 1800+. We set it up, and installed Win XP Pro. A couple days later, he was asking me if my computer ever got errors when loading problems. I said, please explain. He brought me to the computer and tried loading a couple programs, opening one, shutting it down, and loading another, etc. Finally, when trying to load Unreal Tourny, a "Program has stopped responding error" popped up, as well as the otion to send the error to microsoft. I've had programs lock up in XP before, but he says this happens with frequency, which worries me.

Also, all the computers at home are on a network. We share the internet using All Aboard 2K, which is a program similar to Window's Internet Connection Sharing, which I bought before I had Windows 98 SE on the computer that serves the internet, and I paid 50 bucks for it I'm not replacing it with Microsoft's built in crap dammit! Anyways, we are on dialup, and whenever the Athlon system is hooked up to the network the line is fully saturated. The internet connection icon in the tray that shows the two computers that tells you if you're downloading or uploading data stays green for both until I unplug the Athlon's cable or turn it off. This is getting very annoying because none of the computers can even connect to a web page, it times out because the Athlon is somehow causing all bandwith to be wasted.

I have reinstalled the Athlon twice, in hopes that this would fix it. I have just reinstalled Win XP Pro on my own system, a celeron 900 asus cusl2. My system has no problems. Perplexing indeed, no? I used the same CD, a legal copy, to setup both computers, so the problem can't be an error from the CD causing everything to be messed up. I am using two legal liscenses.

Any ideas on what's causing the hard drive and internet problems? Specs for the Athlon:
    ECS K7S5A(standard WinXP chipset drivers)
    Integrated SIS LAN (standard WinXP drivers)
    Athlon XP 1800+ retail heatsink fan
    Geforce 265 (latest detnators off nvidia.com)
    SBLive 5.1 (latest soundblaster drivers)
    WinXP Pro
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

quote:
    Originally posted by TrackMan:
    My little brother thought it was time to get a new system, so I recomended a K7S5A mainboard and athlon xp 1800+. We set it up, and installed Win XP Pro. A couple days later, he was asking me if my computer ever got errors when loading problems. I said, please explain. He brought me to the computer and tried loading a couple programs, opening one, shutting it down, and loading another, etc. Finally, when trying to load Unreal Tourny, a "Program has stopped responding error" popped up, as well as the otion to send the error to microsoft. I've had programs lock up in XP before, but he says this happens with frequency, which worries me.

Also, all the computers at home are on a network. We share the internet using All Aboard 2K, which is a program similar to Window's Internet Connection Sharing, which I bought before I had Windows 98 SE on the computer that serves the internet, and I paid 50 bucks for it I'm not replacing it with Microsoft's built in crap dammit! Anyways, we are on dialup, and whenever the Athlon system is hooked up to the network the line is fully saturated. The internet connection icon in the tray that shows the two computers that tells you if you're downloading or uploading data stays green for both until I unplug the Athlon's cable or turn it off. This is getting very annoying because none of the computers can even connect to a web page, it times out because the Athlon is somehow causing all bandwith to be wasted.

I have reinstalled the Athlon twice, in hopes that this would fix it. I have just reinstalled Win XP Pro on my own system, a celeron 900 asus cusl2. My system has no problems. Perplexing indeed, no? I used the same CD, a legal copy, to setup both computers, so the problem can't be an error from the CD causing everything to be messed up. I am using two legal liscenses.

Any ideas on what's causing the hard drive and internet problems? Specs for the Athlon:
    ECS K7S5A(standard WinXP chipset drivers)
    Integrated SIS LAN (standard WinXP drivers)
    Athlon XP 1800+ retail heatsink fan
    Geforce 265 (latest detnators off nvidia.com)
    SBLive 5.1 (latest soundblaster drivers)
    WinXP Pro

If you used the same CD, it can't be a "legal" copy.......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

quote:
    Originally posted by DocPC:
    If you used the same CD, it can't be a "legal" copy.......

It is if you buy two lisences from Microsoft. You are not buying the CD when you buy software, you are buying the rights to use the software. Buying the cd+liscense bundle then another liscense is cheaper than buying two CD bundles. Microsoft has a "Family Program" for you to purchase addittional liscenses of software for all the computers in your home, or you can buy OEM liscences from stores, look on pricewatch.

I would disable the onboard SiS LAN and try a cheap 10/100 NIC instead to see if it is this. I have seen CNR cards continuosly poll the network.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

I use these boards a decent amount. I've never seen that happen. I agree disable the onboard NIC or make sure you install the NIC drivers from the MB CD's.

First, I updated the onboard NIC's driver using ECS's driver and then the reference SIS driver, and neither one fixed the problem. Next, I installed a realtek NIC and disabled the built in NIC, but it's still polling the internet. So I'm still stuck...

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

I know this will sound odd, but I have a friend in Arizona who last summer was experiencing a similar problem networking two Windows ME machines and using All Aboard 2K (His SystemMax machine was the culprit). After a whole weekend of gnashing teeth reinstalling WinMe, trying different NIC's we decided to not use the All Aboard 2K software and use the MS program. I don't know what happened, but all was well afterwards. I will say that I replaced the Realteck NIC with a 3Com NIC and that also may have played a role.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

quote:
    Originally posted by pakprotector:
    I know this will sound odd, but I have a friend in Arizona who last summer was experiencing a similar problem networking two Windows ME machines and using All Aboard 2K (His SystemMax machine was the culprit). After a whole weekend of gnashing teeth reinstalling WinMe, trying different NIC's we decided to not use the All Aboard 2K software and use the MS program. I don't know what happened, but all was well afterwards. I will say that I replaced the Realteck NIC with a 3Com NIC and that also may have played a role.

Thanks. I'm busy as all heck until Sunday, but I'll try using MS's app, and maybe swapping in the 3Com card I'm using in my own machine, and report back if it works.