WIN98 won't load, get explorer error

Thread: WIN98 won't load, get explorer error

Red face WIN98 won't load, get explorer error

I tried to update this pc ( AMD 750 to a 1 gig ) and had a bad chip. It quit running win98 setup and won't reboot. I tried to put the old board back but now I get a error message right before the pc finishes rebooting, " Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in module unknown ". It gives me this error even in safe mode. It's killing me. I can see all my customers icons in the background, I tried everything I could think of, i.e. re-installing windows, deleting user.dat and sytem.dat and re-install, delete explorer and re-install, etc. I am going to search for a ghosted copy of his programs I made a couple of months ago, but I know he has installed alot since then.
    Help !
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Try deleting win.com and reinstalling the OS...let it save the system files.

Is the CPU fan spinning at the correct speed? Also, did you put a bulkier heatsink/fan on the 1 GHz CPU?

It sounds like you may be overheating your CPU's... keep in mind that the Athlon will be damaged VERY quickly if it overheats.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.