Window / Window 98 folders

Thread: Window / Window 98 folders

Cool Window / Window 98 folders

Hello...

I am running Windows 98SE and in Windows Explorer I have a folder called 'Window' and another called 'Window98'. Do I need both of these or just Window98?

Both folders contain the same sub-folders, but Window98 has a few extra sub-folders for my scanner and printer that Window hasn't got.

I came across this when I tried editing my System.INI file. It threw up one System.INI file in Window and another in Window98. Again, Window98's System.INI file contains some additional information for my printer and scanner than the one in Window. Also if I try to edit System.INI via SysEdit it gives me the System.INI file from Window98.

Just to say I did run Windows 95 but installed Windows 98 as a complete fresh installation on a clean hard drive last year. I later upgraded to Windows 98SE by using the updates CD.

Can I completely remove the Window folder without my computer screwing up and just depend on Window98?

Thank you for your help and time in advance!
    phil

I kinda had a similar problem.
    I re-installed win98 over the top of the original win98 and it installed to a file called "windows000" and was loading from there and ignoring the original windows folder.
    Maybe thats what has happened to you?

Hope this helps a little..
    Lotus

Sounds like a second install to me. If folders are identical, there should be no problem removing the earlier install.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Do a Windows file find for files modified
    in the last couple days, and sort by folder. that might help determine if one folder is not being used.

I don't recommend deleting folders right away. I like to rename to .old first, then reboot and run for a couple days. In a worst case scenario, you can boot from a floppy and rename the folder back to original. If all seems well, throw the folder in the recycling bin for a week or so.

This may sound a bit conservative to some, but I have never kicked myself for being patient.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

If it is causing system problems, then I would just fdisk/reinstall.