[RESOLVED] no operating system

Thread: [RESOLVED] no operating system

hennesiper

no operating system

I recently purchased a refurbished IBM Think Pad 365XD. It supposedly has no operating system. What all is involved in installing windows 95/98? will i need to install DOS or some other operating system first? This is new to me. But I want to try it.

H-Bomber
    In order to put Win95/98 onto a machine you need to have a copy of an OEM version which doesnt require an upgrade of a previous Microsoft Windows Installation. If you do have an upgrade version you can still install it but Win 95 will ask for the 1st disk from Windows 3.11 as proof that you have it. If you can get a copy of the OEM boot disk that would prove helpful as you can boot to DOS and the disk has all the commands you need like fdisk and format on it already. In reply to your question, no you dont need to have any operating system installed as long as you have a Boot disk that will load your CDROM drivers so you can install Win 95 straight up. It is a fairly simple task installing an OS like Win 95, it is a GUI so you just point n click what you want installed, it pretty much detects all your hardware in laptops and palm tops since they use fairly standard devices, like no fancy 3D cards or sound etc, but if you have any driver disks you may need to install them later. You have prompts all the way through so most of the time you just click ok.