[RESOLVED] Trying to re-install Win 95

Thread: [RESOLVED] Trying to re-install Win 95

oldy1

Unhappy Trying to re-install Win 95

My friend in Northern Alberta, Canada, (eh?), is trying to re-install Win 95 from Win 98. Did a total format from a clean DOS boot. Cold Booted. Then an FDisk to wipe everything. Then cold boot & re-ran FDisk, re-stated HDD's correctly, partitioned, etc. Then cold boot again. Start up with either a clean Win 95 boot disk with CD drivers that start the install process, or with a Win 98 boot disk. Starts up, goes thru the motions, tries to run Scandisk, then says that there is an Error - Message SU-0013. This basically states there is a problem with the partition on the HDD, and unable to copy system files to HDD. Not sure of exact wording. There was never any Linux on these HDD's, nor HDFS??
    It is an AST box. Any ideas?
    Thanx in advance...

xKr0N0sx

Try fdisk again and start all over.

When you run setup.exe, try this instead....
    setup.exe /i /s /d /m

This does something usefull, just can't remember what!
    I think that /s stops the scandisk, /i loads a different mouse driver, /d stops a diskcheck, and /m does something else...
    also, try setup.exe /?
    That might explain it better. Sorry, but I'm on NT at the mo, so I can't even tell what it is.!

------------------
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

Just remembered, /m stops it checking the memory.

Once you've installed ok, create a folder
    c:\windows\options\cabs and copy all the *.cab files from the cdrom (x:\win95 where x is your cdrom drive) Then run regedit, HKEy_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\curr ent_version\setup. In there is a key called setup. Open this up (double click) and put in "c:\windows\options\cabs". We techs hate it when you change the "smallest" setting in the world, and it still asks for the Win9x CD. Arghhhh

------------------

oldy1

Smile

I will see if this works. Thanx for the help.

Originally posted by Schui:
    Just remembered, /m stops it checking the memory.

Once you've installed ok, create a folder
    c:\windows\options\cabs and copy all the *.cab files from the cdrom (x:\win95 where x is your cdrom drive) Then run regedit, HKEy_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\curr ent_version\setup. In there is a key called setup. Open this up (double click) and put in "c:\windows\options\cabs". We techs hate it when you change the "smallest" setting in the world, and it still asks for the Win9x CD. Arghhhh

You said he formated then fdisk(ed) the hard drive. You need to format it again after fdisk or you will continue to get this error.

make sure that your friend is not trying to install win95a over a fat32 partition.

hey its me again!

RGK01 is right... sound's like he hasn't formatted the disk. Don't worry about sys-ing the disk, as windows will do that anyway...
    Make sure you're not using a different version of format. If necessary, boot from the floppy disk to get the cdrom working, then goto X:\win95 (x is the cdrom drive) and type format c: from there. This will use the fat16 format. The floppy might be a 98 disk, and be using the fat32 format command.

------------------

Apache

I had similar problems with my PC. I formatted the h/d using DOS Disc 1. Format using FAT16. Select the biggest size for the partition which is around 2048 MB. Install DOS. Then install CDRom drivers for DOS. Restart PC in DOS. This should correctly detect your CDRom Drive. Try to run Win98 or Win95 (whichever one you prefer install. This worked for me. I hope it works for you too. Good Luck!!!

pga

Originally posted by Apache:
    I had similar problems with my PC. I formatted the h/d using DOS Disc 1. Format using FAT16. Select the biggest size for the partition which is around 2048 MB. Install DOS. Then install CDRom drivers for DOS. Restart PC in DOS. This should correctly detect your CDRom Drive. Try to run Win98 or Win95 (whichever one you prefer install. This worked for me. I hope it works for you too. Good Luck!!!
    why use a dos disk?? it doesn't support larger capacity hdd's... he'd be better off using fdisk and format included with win95/98.

Apache

why use a dos disk?? well i did use the fdisk and format included with win95 it did not work. then tried win98. that did not work either for reasons best known to microsoft it did not help me. normally it works fine but not this time around. i know dos doesn't support larger capacity hdd's and allows a maximum of 2048mb partition. once win98 (or win95) installation is complete he can use Partition Magic or Partition-It to resize the hdd. i was only suggesting the methodology which has helped me.

jeffsr

Try fdisk /mbr. This will clear out any garbage in the master boot record and you will be starting with a clean slate. Do this, reboot and then run fdisk to set your partitions. Make sure the boot is done w/o any memory managers being installed.

------------------
    Jeff Lawrence

Wassup

If you continue trying to install Windows 95 on a hard disk using the FAT32 file
    system, you may receive error message "SU-0013."

If you are installing Windows 95 on a hard disk using the FAT16 file system,
    Setup continues but experiences numerous file version conflicts that generate
    the following message:

A file being copied is older than the file currently on your computer.
    It is recommended that you keep your existing file.

If you click Yes to keep the newer files, Setup finishes, but when you restart
    the computer you may experience any of the following symptoms:

- The computer stops responding (hangs) at the logo screen.

- You receive the error message "Fatal Exception 0D has occurred at
    0117:00007E1F."

Starting Windows 95 in Safe mode may generate the following error message:

Fatal Exception 0D has occurred at 0117:00007E1F.

CAUSE
    =====

The version of Windows 95 being installed is not the same version that is
    already installed.

To verify the version you are installing, type "ver" at a command prompt. Version
    4.00.950 (files dated 7-11-95)is retail and OEM (non-OSR2). Version 4.00.1111
    (files dated 8-24-96) indicates Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2).

RESOLUTION
    ==========

Do not install the retail or OEM (non-OSR2) version of Windows 95 into an
    existing Windows 95 OSR2 folder. If you are installing to a hard disk using the
    FAT16 file system, install to a different folder. Do not install the retail or
    OEM (non-OSR2) version of Windows 95 on a hard disk using the FAT32 file system.

MORE INFORMATION
    ================

When you attempt to install the retail version of Windows 95 from the Windows 95
    CD-ROM on a computer with OSR2 installed with the Auto Insert Notification
    option enabled, the Add/Remove Software option on the Autorun menu is disabled.
    You receive the following warning:

This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are
    p