[RESOLVED] Win98SE Running real slow

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98SE Running real slow

xKr0N0sx

Post Win98SE Running real slow

I've seen 2 computers lately that are running slower than an old 386 both are 500mhz with 128megs ram and ran fine until a reboot. The only solution I found was to format. I felt bad but it was the only way to correct this. Has anyone heard of this? Virus? I'm lost, they didn't install anything new, software or hardware. HELP!!!

I've seen the exact same problem twice.
    The only solution for me was format.

Probably you're dealing with KAK virus.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

xKr0N0sx

Smile

Nope wasn't that I don't think. I even called the guy and asked him a few things and recipients of messages which contain Wscript/Kak.worm may receive warning messages such as:
    "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" He never seen any messages. So I'm still at a loss Thanks for the idea though. This is just driving me crazy not knowing!

Cyberwiz

Unhappy

I have had several dozen different brand and model computers all run like a 8086 crunching on SETI packet and trying to keep it all together at the same time. Boot it up at 8am and maybe it will have booted and just starting defrag by noon...

Format and reinstall is all I have ever gotten to fix it... And all of these systems were a fresh install of Win98SE using the Microsoft OEM Preload wizard boot disk... still in audit mode... ohh well...

AnyKey?

Cool

I had just about the same problem once. The computer was a brand new build 600MHz and 128 megs of RAM. The customer brought the PC back to us after about a week saying that the computer gradually slowed down to a crawl in that amount of time. It was true, it took just about 20 min. to boot into Win 98 and it took a few minutes for the start menu to even pop up. So what was the problem?? There were 21860 error logs in the root directory of the bootable drive created by some 3rd party software.

xtac

I have found that Win98SE has caused mores issues than Win98.

Could easily be the "W95/MTX" virus...had this pop up at work, two k6-2/500's were running like old 486/25's. Upgraded virus scan files, found over 400 infected files.
    Apparently this virus attaches itself to whatever files it wants at the moment, plus it tries to infect any mapped network drives, AND then it also sends emails every two minutes. Really bogs a system down. One case was cleared using McAfee 4.1.2 engine with 4109 DAT files, and the other cleared with Norton AV. Virus was first released in August of this year, and there's many different varieties of it around by now...
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

3fingersalute

Originally posted by xKr0N0sx:
    Nope wasn't that I don't think. I even called the guy and asked him a few things and recipients of messages which contain Wscript/Kak.worm may receive warning messages such as:
    "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run
    We've been dealing with the KAK quite a lot here lately, and I haven't seen that message much if at all on infected machines.

I'd still look for KAK reference in startup, autoexec.bat, the key it puts in the registry and the hta files in windows!

------------------
    Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7 have locks on the doors?

3fingersalute

Originally posted by xKr0N0sx:
    "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run
    We've been dealing with the KAK quite a lot here lately, and I haven't seen that message much if at all on infected machines.

I'd still look for KAK reference in startup, autoexec.bat, the key it puts in the registry and the hta files in windows!

------------------
    Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7 have locks on the doors?

xKr0N0sx

Nope there was no reference to it anywhere that I noticed. Thanks

Is AOL 6 on the hard drive? Now that program is good for business.

xKr0N0sx

Nope AOL is nowhere near them