Quirky cold startup

Thread: Quirky cold startup

Post Quirky cold startup

A asus P2l97 pII-300 in a enlight atx case.
    When cold (overniight) will take 6-8 pushes of the power switch to turn on. Once warm will start on first try. I replaced the power supply and switch. Any ideas??

Thumbs up

A good start with the p.supply, next thing to do is search for loose cards (vga,sound etc) better unplug 'em and reinsert them after cleaning the contacts with an appropriate contact cleaner.your cpu should be a slot 1 , so try pressing hard on the m/b in case it came loose with time.
    Unfortunately these problems are hard to pinpoint ,of cource you should also try a bios upgrade , not that this reffers to your problem but sometimes u don't really know from where the solution comes.

Probably the motherboard is going to be in heaven soon!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Stephen.C

You are possibly looking at a board that is going to go to heaven soon, or possibly even the chip itself. Also check to see if the board is grounding out on the board plate. Computer Virusis are like TV stars....they are born every day..

Darren Wilson

Disconnnect the power switch from the board and short the 2 pins out with a screwdriver. If the system powers up first time, each time you do this then the switch is dodgy.

I have exactly same Asus P2l-97 and even same PII-300 with PQI PC133 memory running in my office without any problem.

From problems with ASUS P2L-97 I've seen it may also fried WDM convertor (HIP6004A), responceble for cold boot or power supply (yes, again!).
    Also it could be bad small SMD transistor located in the right bottom conner below DIMMs sockets.

Arrow

Hum....i think that it is the motherboard or the memory that has problems! Try that...

Good Luck!