[RESOLVED] CD Rom only seen on second boot of the day!

Thread: [RESOLVED] CD Rom only seen on second boot of the day!

Trickster

Post CD Rom only seen on second boot of the day!

Hi,

When I boot up my machine (PIII-450 128k RAM,Creative CD Rom and Mitsumi CDRW) the Creative CD Rom doesn't run or show in Windows or dos CD drivers. Only the second boot (restart) it works fine and every time after provided that I don't turn the machine completely off and it starts all over again!

A: What motherboard?
    B: Are both drives on the same IDE channel?

I ran into a similar situation, the fix was to make the CDROM drive the master, and the CD-RW the slave driv on the secondary channel. Kept the Primary channel open for my two hard drives. If the CD drives are installed with the CD-RW drive as master, it may not allow the other drive to be recognized in BIOS by the time the boot request is passed to the OS.

Also had a similar fault with maxtor's 13GB hard drives, with it set as master, a timing issue wouldn't allow a Seagate 6.4GB to be recognized as slave. Other way around, worked fine...
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

Trickster

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I think you might be right about that. Currently the CD Rom is a slave to the HD on the primary and on the secondary the CDR is master to my other hard drive. That was the only way it worked at the time. I'm due to fit a 46Gb HD soon instead of two HDs so perhaps that will give me the opportunity to change them around. Thanks again!