[RESOLVED] Start up

Thread: [RESOLVED] Start up

mlh11350

Resolved [RESOLVED] Start up

I am having so many problems since downloading IE 5.5. I have windows 98 SE, Gateway Astro. Everytime I turn on my computer a black screen comes saying starting windows, then you can either make a choice of normal, step by set configuation, safe mode, etc. It takes for ever for windows to come up. It looks like it changes it starts out with a large airglass then goes small. in network it has changes from one thing to workgroup, if that has anything to do with it. I can't print, I get script error loading DLL, I have ran ie repair several time it says it can't be repaired to run setup again, which iI have done it shows error in mshtml.dll. I even downloaded IE 5.5 again. Reset security level to default. What can I do. Thanks.

------------------
    Mary

its probably easier to just restore the system...put in your recovery cd and reboot the computer and let the system recover itself.
    #3 1951-2001

Scott r

just a thought but do you have conflicting devices in the systems icon in the control
    panel , if so you might want to check for irq
    and dma problems ,depending on how many extra devices you have added or removed , windows might be trying to set up a device that is no longer present in the registry. remember always back that baby up before manually altering it .. you could find the problem by getting a bootlog analizer , and finding the file or driver that is causing the delay.
    good luck..

Go to the Gateway site and look through the fixes they have for the Astro. I had had a customer last month who had a problem with AOL. I checked the Gateway site and found out why. The Astro has a problem with any version of AOL above 5.0 Downloaded a fix

You don't need to reload all that crap.
    Make sure you can "view all files", then edit the MSDOS.SYS file.
    Somewhere, you'll see the line: BootMenu=1
    Change that to BootMenu=0 and save the file.
    Make sure you save it as msdos.sys and NOT msdos.sys.txt!!!
    Restart.
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]