[RESOLVED] what kind of motherboards support Pentium3 chips?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] what kind of motherboards support Pentium3 chips?

tshano

Post what kind of motherboards support Pentium3 chips?

I want to upgrade my CPU from 333celeron to maybe a 600-700p3. I just want to know if my motherboard supports Pentium 3.

Mustang

What mobo do you have

tshano

i got a QDI EXCELLENT ATX MOTHERBOARD (INTEL EX CHIP) 128K CACHE

eedmond

Do you know the model number? QDI What? You can get this information on the boot up screen when you first turn you computer on. While it is checking your RAM read what model number in the upper left corner and let us know.

Darren Wilson

In a Nutshell, NO.

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

tshano

Allright, here are my specs:

*Award modular bios v4.51PG*
    *Award plug and play bios v1.0A*

[This message has been edited by tshano (edited December 25, 2000).]

The EX/LX Chipset will usally support up to the Pentium II 333 Mhz
    The BX/810/815/820 and higher will support the Pentium III Chip
    The BX will only support 100 Mhz FSB

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

tshano

So how much do you think it will cost for a good pentium3 500-600Mhz chip and a good p3 motherboard in Canadian $?

MDD1963

Originally posted by tshano:
    So how much do you think it will cost for a good pentium3 500-600Mhz chip and a good p3 motherboard in Canadian $?
    A P3/600E and Asus CUSL2-C would likely run around US $240...I saw elsewhere exchange rates were about 1.52 Can per US. dollar, which would put the total around $$364 Canadian. (Keep in mind you'll likely need PC100 or 133, and want a new vid card too) Good luck

[This message has been edited by MDD1963 (edited December 26, 2000).]

tshano

Question

Well, speaking of video card, I have a voodoo 3 3000 AGP so do I have to mind it too?

Wink

Keep that video card, I run the Asus p3v4x which cost me 175 Canadian plus GST . The p3 FCPGA will run about 300 Canadian for you then if you need to buy PC 133 sdram you are looking at about 75 bucks per 64 megs and I would go with a brand name memory
    I like my Asus board due to the fact it has 4 dimm slots and I can run a p3 CPU when I get rich enough ( I have a Celeron 533 on a slocket card )
    I had the Voodoo 3 3000 and sold it to a friend to upgrade to the Voodoo 4 4500

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Oc-768

Check the documentation that came with your motherboard or visit the manufacturers website. Email the tech support dept.

wicket

Lightbulb

I have had the same board and set up at my
    work place and well it cost me $773 total
    at a place call mr.computer,
    the board is a 810e chip set with a p3 700mhz
    processer at 133 bus,however it has a built
    in video card (4mb)and 128 sb pci sound card,
    256 cache this works great for audio editting.
    the playback was better than the 128 on my
    333mhz.(I bet 2 nano bucks that maybe the case said cube?)

DrWitch

Just make sure that you get the right packaging type for your motherboard, though! The Celeron is a 370 PGA (Socket 370) processor... you will need to find a Pentium III in PGA 370 packaging as well!! These are difficult as hell to find, and they tend to cost more than Single Edge Cartridge packaged P III's. There is a adapter available so that you can use a SEC type in a Socket 370, but they are likewise difficult to find, and expensive as well. Not to mention that you increase your costs tremendously buying an adapter!

Also, the adapters (in my experience) do not allow the processors to perform up to their full potential. MOST Celeron mobos are 66 MHz FSB ONLY, and the P III is a 100 MHz FSB processor. You will be choking your pricey P III in this manner...

My opinion: buy the correct motherboard and processor together! Mobos are not that much more money ($100-$160), considering how much a P III costs! If I were you, forget the Intel crap and buy an AMD Athlon and motherboard combo... you will get much more for your money, and the Athlon is a better performer, not to mention a better processor.

Either way you go, unless you buy an adapter, you will need new memory as well... Celeron memory is likewise 66 MHz... But here, you're in luck. Memory is SUPERCHEAP right now. I have bought PC-133 memory this last few weeks in both 128 MB and 64 MB DIMMS, and I paid UNDER $50 for the 128 MB, and UNDER $35 for the 64 MB DIMMs. Hell, at these prices, you too can afford to have 1 Gig of memory!! With an Athlon 900 MHz (best buy, IMHO), and 256 or 512 or 1024 MB RAM, what a screamer you'd have! Only one problem then... your video card is probably a piece of crap, right? Time for a new one of those as well... LOL :-)

Darren Wilson

Angry

Originally posted by DrWitch:
    Just make sure that you get the right packaging type for your motherboard, though! The Celeron is a 370 PGA (Socket 370) processor... you will need to find a Pentium III in PGA 370 packaging as well!! These are difficult as hell to find, and they tend to cost more than Single Edge Cartridge packaged P III's. There is a adapter available so that you can use a SEC type in a Socket 370, but they are likewise difficult to find, and expensive as well. Not to mention that you increase your costs tremendously buying an adapter!

Also, the adapters (in my experience) do not allow the processors to perform up to their full potential. MOST Celeron mobos are 66 MHz FSB ONLY, and the P III is a 100 MHz FSB processor. You will be choking your pricey P III in this manner...

My opinion: buy the correct motherboard and processor together! Mobos are not that much more money ($100-$160), considering how much a P III costs! If I were you, forget the Intel crap and buy an AMD Athlon and motherboard combo... you will get much more for your money, and the Athlon is a better performer, not to mention a better processor.

Either way you go, unless you buy an adapter, you will need new memory as well... Celeron memory is likewise 66 MHz... But here, you're in luck. Memory is SUPERCHEAP right now. I have bought PC-133 memory this last few weeks in both 128 MB and 64 MB DIMMS, and I paid UNDER $50 for the 128 MB, and UNDER $35 for the 64 MB DIMMs. Hell, at these prices, you too can afford to have 1 Gig of memory!! With an Athlon 900 MHz (best buy, IMHO), and 256 or 512 or 1024 MB RAM, what a screamer you'd have! Only one problem then... your video card is probably a piece of crap, right? Time for a new one of those as well... LOL :-)

DrWitch

WTF are you on?????? FC-PGA PIII's hard to find???? That is nearly all that is bloody made nowadays!!! As for being more expensive than the SECC/-2 chips, what a load of cobblers!!!!! Why do you think Intel went back to Socket for??? To save money, same as AMD have done with the Athlons.
    I am finding it hard to get hols of SECC-2 CPU's nowadays. I wish I could get them at the RIGHT price as their are a lot of people out there that would like to go from their PII 400 to a PIII 500/600 etc!!!!

PIII's are not just 100Mhz CPU's and even now the 100mhz PIII's are getting harder to find, in favour of the 133Mhz variety.

Will people please stop posting utter crap to others legitimate posts as this is the way this Board is going (sorry Scott). If the crap doesn't stop then I will begrudgingly stop posting on the site (sorry people who appreciate the help that PROPER techs give out).

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.