Win95 lock up on extended CD transfer to HD?

Thread: Win95 lock up on extended CD transfer to HD?

Post Win95 lock up on extended CD transfer to HD?

I just finished building my K6-2 450 Mhz, 64Meg RAM (PC100) with Maxtor diamond max 17.6 Gig hard disk. Motherboard is TI5VGF, Diamond V770, 32x TEAC CDrom. All hardware running to OEM specs.
    Win95 installed with a few hitches. All device drivers i got with the hardware are installed.

Netgear 10/100 net card is not working but that may be a hardware fault. It's using IRQ 11 which appears to be the same as a PCI handler.... I can't manually set either of these values (according to win95)

Problem is that any transfer (say installing a game over 80Meg approx) locks the machine. No mouse response, no num lock response and no CTRL + ALT + Delete to task manager. The only option is to reset.

Any way I can fix this? It seems an awful shame to have all that HD space without being able to fill it.
    What does this button do?

What chipset is on that motherboard? I have seen many needing patches-updates etc. Also could be you need to swap out the memory. Why not go to Win 98? Good luck.

Ciao.....Jeanne
    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."-Albert Einstein

Dan F

I had the same problem with my Maxtor 13GB
    drive.
    What fixed it was to lower the bus speed to 95MHZ.
    Seems the Maxtor drives dont like any higher speed.

Lightbulb

Solution of sorts for win 95 problem:

Upgrade to win98 and format the drive as FAT32. It works, all my devices appear to be working.
    So far, so good.

What does this button do?